Winter chemo ladies!

Change Page: << < ..11121314 > | Showing page 11 of 14, messages 201 to 220 of 271
RSBendy
  • Total Posts : 20
  • Reward points : 1670
Re:Winter chemo ladies! - Wednesday, November 09, 2011 5:24 PM
Hi Ladies!
Just a quick update.  They weren't kidding about the flu-like reaction 48 hours after Taxol.  Though not sure that some of it could be attributed to the lovely cold my husband gave me. Didn't go into work on Monday and ended up leaving after an hour and half on Tuesday. Really thought if I got myself moving I'd feel better - didn't work.  After getting a full night's sleep, was able to go into work for a few hours. Note to self - if my husband starts complaining about feeling like crap, sleep elsewhere. 
We'll see how the next round goes and I promise to take it easy over the weekend.

Ronnie 
"A Pink Warrior"

Diagnosed - 6/7/11
DIEP Flap Procedure, Double Mastectomy - 7/19/11
BRCA I +
Left Breast - 7mm, 1 Sentinal Node - .9mm
Chemo - 
Adriamycin/Cytoxan 4X's every 2 weeks (followed by Neulasta)
1  2  3  4
Taxol 4X's every 2 weeks
5  6  7  8 DONE!
Hormone Therapy (Anastrozol) for 5 years st

marianwolf
  • Total Posts : 209
  • Reward points : 8850
Re:Winter chemo ladies! - Thursday, November 10, 2011 5:48 AM
Hello All,

Had the PET scan yesterday.  While in the quiet room with 10 minutes left there was a fire alarm and the entire building had to evacuate.  Due to my back, I cannot walk more than 150' without severe pain.  It was annoying to say the least.  So much for "no stimulation"!  But we proceeded anyway and while on the table I had a coughing fit.  (I've had this deep cough going on forever - ex-smoker.)  So, so much for no movement.  The tech assured me that there were no problems in getting clean/non blurry reads.

And now the wait.  To add insult to injury (or, to add too my "I have cancer everywhere!) I have another UTI and was prescribed sulfur this time.  No side effects yet.

So happy to have this club with each of you in it.  I can't imagine how any woman goes through BC without your support. Whenever I get lost or scared, you are there to comfort and encourage.  Whenever I have a question, you are there to answer it.  Whether in a good space or bad one, you are there to cheer me on.

Just wanted to let you know that I am grateful to each one of you for you've helped me out so many times.

Marian 

DX June 20, 2011
IDC, E+P-, HER2-, Ki67 49%
Lumpectomy 7/26/11 & 8/23/11   
Lymph nodes clear!   
BRCA 1-/2-
Stage 1, Grade III 
Oncotype: 36%
Taxotere/Cytoxn 1 2 3 4 12/12/11
33 Rads completed 3/16/12
Start Arimidex 3/17/12    

[link=http://www.caringbridge.org/visit/

RSBendy
Re:Winter chemo ladies! - Thursday, November 10, 2011 3:08 PM
Marian  glad to see that no matter what's going on, it's good to stay in a positive place.  I believe that's what kept my mother going dealing with various forms of BC for 30 years. Stay strong!!
Ronnie 
"A Pink Warrior"

Diagnosed - 6/7/11
BRCA I +
Chemo - 
1  2  3  4
Taxol 4X's every 2 weeks
5  6  7  8 DONE!

LindaW
  • Total Posts : 28
  • Reward points : 4680
Re:Winter chemo ladies! - Thursday, November 10, 2011 4:03 PM
Marian - I admire your positive attitude! I am finding it hard to stay positive right now although I am trying. I had TCH #4 of 6 one week ago and am just starting to come out of the fog now. It seems to take me longer to feel better after each treatment. I am so tired but can't sleep without either taking an Ativan or Benadryl. I haven't been able to take my daily walks since the weather has turned cold and I think it has affected my mood. I am also cold all the time (before treatment I used to be a little warm always). I have started a yoga program I found on Netflix but it is not the same and I get tired easily. Sorry to rant but I'm trying to get my down feelings out so maybe I can perk up a bit. I am excited that my two daughters and family that live 11 hrs away are coming to visit for Thanksgiving (although I have already relegated cooking and cleaning to them). I will hopefully spend my time playing with my two granddaughters. I hope that I have enough energy as I will have chemo #5 the day before Thanksgiving which is the day they arrive. I usually feel well for the first two days. I'm thinking of all the winter chemo ladies and hope everyone is feeling well!
Linda...Age at diagnosis 51
IDC stage 1 ; tumor 1.1 cm
Excisional Biopsy 5/24/11
Liver biopsy 6/09/11 - negative
 Lumpectomy and axillary node dissection 7/20/11 clear margins- no nodes found
  ER-/PR-; HER2+++ ;BRCA 1 and 2 negative
Chemo - Taxotere/Carboplatin/Herceptin x6 finished 12/14/11
Herceptin for one year: Radiation 35 tx finished 3/05/12

Tricia Keegan
  • Total Posts : 19215
  • Reward points : 13520
Re:Winter chemo ladies! - Thursday, November 10, 2011 5:21 PM
Linda its okay to be tired and feel down because you can't do what you were used to!  I walked an hour at least every day but could'nt manage it during chemo and it upset me too!

Just look forward to doing things you can and know you'll be back out there before you know it!!:)
Tricia Keegan...From Ireland Dx July '05 IDC 3/9 nodes pos..triple positive..a/c x 4..Taxol/herceptin x 12
Herceptin 1yr ..rads x35 oophorectomy Aug '06
Currently taking Arimidex /Zometa 1 x yearly
Carepage- survivortricia

smarti
  • Total Posts : 34
  • Reward points : 9860
Re:Winter chemo ladies! - Saturday, November 12, 2011 4:15 PM
I read your brave stories and feel like such a wimp. I have just finished my first treatment on 11/7/11 of Taxtoere and Cytoxan with the Neulasta shot. During the Cytoxan the wave of nausea hit, the third day was the worst, nausea, headache, shooting pains and my pulse rate has been high as has my blood pressure (which I already take two different meds for). Making notes of everything to bring to oncologist before next treatment. At this point, like everyone else looking forward to last dose.
Sherry
8/11/2011 diagnosed right breast
PR+ER+HER2-
BRAC 1 & 2 negative
Onco Score 18 trace in 1 node
9/13/11 Double Mastectomy Nipple Sparing skin sparing DIEP FLAP reconstruction
11/7/11 4 rounds of Taxotere and Cytoxan I'M DONE!!
started Tamoxifen 1/28/2012
Stage 2 surgery 3/6/2012 DONE!!

Tricia Keegan
Re:Winter chemo ladies! - Saturday, November 12, 2011 4:47 PM
Hi Smarti,

You may need your anti nausea meds switched if you're actually vomiting and it sometimes takes a while to find the right one.

You're not a wuss at all and I know the ladies here will give you encouragement and help you!

There is an end and you'll all get there so just keep putting one foot in front of the other and before you know it you'll be on the other side!!!:)
Tricia Keegan...From Ireland Dx July '05 IDC 3/9 nodes pos..triple positive..a/c x 4..Taxol/herceptin x 12
Carepage- survivortricia

smarti
Re:Winter chemo ladies! - Saturday, November 12, 2011 5:01 PM
They have me on Zofran and Phenergan but was originally told to use up to 48 hours so needless to say I haven't taken anymore in a while. Thank you for responding to quickly.
Sherry
PR+ER+HER2-
BRAC 1 & 2 negative

donnapetry
  • Total Posts : 147
  • Reward points : 3475
Re:Winter chemo ladies! - Saturday, November 12, 2011 6:00 PM
Smarti - I found what helped me was to keep a daily diary so when I had my onco appts it was much easier to go over things. And Tricia stated you are no wusss.

Will keep you in my thoughts and prayers.
DCIS, IDC Diag 4/12/11
Left Mastectomy 3 nodes positive removed 5/26/11
Stage 2, Triple positive (ER 80%, PR 70%, Her2 +3)
Chemo 6/30/11 Carboplatin/Taxotere/Herceptin Completed chemo 10/13/11
BRCA 1 & 2 Negative 
Herceptin for 1 year - completed 5/10/12
Arimidex for 5 years starting 11/3/11
Right simple Masectomy 11/29/12
Take one day at a time and always try to find something positive out of the negative!

Tricia Keegan
Re:Winter chemo ladies! - Saturday, November 12, 2011 6:09 PM
Smarti, zofran worked well for me but we're all different,  do take them even if you dont need them as it's easier to prevent than stop nausea once it begins!!!

Drink lots of water and do call your onc if you're still ill, we don't need to suffer this through chemo and they'll find another med for you! xx
<message edited by Tricia Keegan on Saturday, November 12, 2011 6:11 PM>
Carepage- survivortricia

Dora
  • Total Posts : 313
  • Reward points : 5600
Re:Winter chemo ladies! - Saturday, November 12, 2011 6:52 PM
Hi Smarti:
I tried to send you a private message but couldn't.  I also had a bilateral mastectomy with tram flap reconstruction on Sept 1.  I am also doing Taxatere/carboplatin and Herceptin.  I have been feeling pretty
crappy myself with side effects!  I hope you got yours under control and you are feeling better.  Take care.

Dora-age 55-Colorado
Rt breast ductal carcinoma (9/06) Stage 1, Grade 2
Lumpectomy 10/13/06 Sentinol Node Biopsy
Nodes neg, clean margins, Oncotype 23; Clinical trial of Radiation 12/06; A/C Chemo X 4 completed 3/07, Tamoxifen started May 07, Arimedex 5/09,Stopped Arimidex 8/28/09,  Aromasin 9/09 , stopped 6/15/11 due to new cancer 
New lump 6/11; Stage 1c, grade 3, New Cancer in left breast; ER+, PR-, HER2+ bilateral mastectomy, tram reconstruction&

SKalsta
  • Total Posts : 63
  • Reward points : 3865
Re:Winter chemo ladies! - Sunday, November 13, 2011 5:50 AM
Smarti - my first chemo I was vomiting severely. I waited too late to call the doctor. He told me I should have called him the first time I got sick. Anyway, they told me to take the Compazine, Zofran and Dexamethasone (steroid) at the same time and take every 8 hours. I have been doing this on chemo #2 and chemo #3 and I have not gotten sick. I even take the combination BEFORE I leave the clinic. And I continue until day 5 then tapper down to every 12 hours, day 6 only take once. PLEASE do whatever you need to. Chemo has enough other side effects without worrying about something that can be controlled. And nausea can be controlled. Drink lots of water, and even if you can't walk the hour you used to, walk 10 minutes, or even 5 minutes. Walk in place in your house if too cold to go outside. But don't stress because you can't walk. Exercise will help with the fatigue. And do whatever you can do. Or try short spurts several times a day. It will help!!!
Sue K
Invasive Ductal Carcinona
Diagnosed 7/1/2011
Stage III Grade 2
Tumor Size 6cm
2+/18 nodes
ER+/PR+
HER2 Negative
7/28/2011 - Right Modified Mastectomy w/ lymph nodes removed.  Left Prophylactic Mastectomy
Not a candidate for reconstructive surgery. 
Chemo 5 out 8 completed.
Radiation completed.
Lymphedema and scar tissue issues

smarti
Re:Winter chemo ladies! - Sunday, November 13, 2011 4:00 PM
got really nauseated last night decide to take a nausea pill, BAD MOVE! Apparently I'm having a bad reaction to the nausea pills, go figure. Still not feeling great but I did manage to vacuum the house, woohoo!!!
Sherry
PR+ER+HER2-
BRAC 1 & 2 negative

Tricia Keegan
Re:Winter chemo ladies! - Sunday, November 13, 2011 4:53 PM
Smarti you need to take these before you feel nauseu's, its easier to prevent than stop once it starts so take them as a preventative even if you don't need them!!!
Hope you feel better soon xx
Carepage- survivortricia

RSBendy
Re:Winter chemo ladies! - Monday, November 14, 2011 5:26 PM
Hey Smarti - make sure you eat something when you take your meds as that will only add to your stomach troubles.  Have you given your onc a call?  They really want to know what's going on before your next appointment so they can help you get thru it as easily as possible.  But agree with everyone about keep a diary with what's occurring so it's all written down and you don't have to try to remember it. "Cause with the chemo you get chemo brain.
Ronnie 
"A Pink Warrior"

Diagnosed - 6/7/11
BRCA I +
Chemo - 
1  2  3  4
Taxol 4X's every 2 weeks
5  6  7  8 DONE!

mary l
  • Total Posts : 1618
  • Reward points : 4355
Re:Winter chemo ladies! - Monday, November 14, 2011 5:48 PM
Smarti, so sorry you are going through this.  It is not fun but it does work.  I had a very hard time with Taxotere.  I only had 2 infusions of that.  The Carboplatin was easy for me.  You really have to stay on top of the nausea and take the Zofran before you get sick.  I figured that out early in my chemo and it made it so much easier.  I hope that things get easier for you once you get on a schedule when to take your anti-nausea pills.  Best Wishes,  Mary L
Diag. Oct 2003 with 6mm mass, IDC grade III ductal carcinoma in-situ, Inflammatory Breast Cancer stage IIIB, Her2+++.   I had A/C followed by Taxotere (only had 2tx as I had heart problems from it); Left Mastectomy followed by 35 rads.  Recurence in 9 months as skin mets to mast. site. tx Carboplatin/Herceptin,  stayed on Herceptin every other week for almost 4 years only stopping when my ejection fraction would get too low. off herceptin & ned 3 years in 2010

smarti
Re:Winter chemo ladies! - Monday, November 14, 2011 6:32 PM
That's what I thought I was doing with taking the nausea pill the other day. I took it before the nausea actually set in, it just seem the pill made it worst. At any rate nausea is much better now. Now I'm just experiencing muscle spasms in my upper abdomen over all fatigue and I aggravated. Haven't contacted onc yet I see him on the 23rd (before my next treatment on the 28th). Thank all of you for listening.
Sherry
PR+ER+HER2-
BRAC 1 & 2 negative

marianwolf
  • Total Posts : 209
  • Reward points : 8850
Re:Winter chemo ladies! - Thursday, November 17, 2011 6:51 AM
Linda, Smarti and everyone else having a difficult time with chemo. There is nothing wrong with you, you are NOT a wuss or wimp. Chemo affects everyone differently and havinge little to no side effects is the exception.  Don't berate or beat yourself up. We will get through this, we will.  I've had an easy time of it so far, but that doesn't mean tx 3&4 will be the same.  I'm always waiting for the other shoe to drop and when/if it does, I'll be hear whining my butt off.  Until then, let me cheer you on...you WILL beat this.

Marian 

DX June 20, 2011
IDC, E+P-, HER2-, Ki67 49%
Lumpectomy 7/26/11 & 8/23/11   
Lymph nodes clear!   
BRCA 1-/2-
Stage 1, Grade III 
Oncotype: 36%
Taxotere/Cytoxn 1 2 3 4 12/12/11
33 Rads completed 3/16/12
Start Arimidex 3/17/12    

[link=http://www.caringbridge.org/visit/

SKalsta
  • Total Posts : 63
  • Reward points : 3865
Re:Winter chemo ladies! - Friday, November 18, 2011 11:51 PM
Completed Chemo #4. Ended up that I have inflammation in my tear ducts (both top and bottom) and both eyes. The tears that I am forming (via natural or emotional) are not draining properly, therefore dripping. And with the chemo, it is also causing some burning /irritation to the skin around my eyes. They put me on eye steroids and we are hoping that this is not permanent damage. Will take several days to see. But, this is a huge part of the vision issues that I am having. HALF-WAY there. Hoping the Taxol will be a little easier on me than the A/C.
Sue K
Invasive Ductal Carcinona
Diagnosed 7/1/2011
Stage III Grade 2
Tumor Size 6cm
2+/18 nodes
ER+/PR+
HER2 Negative
7/28/2011 - Right Modified Mastectomy w/ lymph nodes removed.  Left Prophylactic Mastectomy
Not a candidate for reconstructive surgery. 
Chemo 5 out 8 completed.
Radiation completed.
Lymphedema and scar tissue issues

Tricia Keegan
Re:Winter chemo ladies! - Saturday, November 19, 2011 8:28 AM
Sue I also had the issue with the tear ducts and its quite common with these drugs, add to that a constant runny nose and I looked a sight lol...it did clear up but for months I was carrying tissue's in every pocket I had!!

The Taxol was definatly far easier to tolerate for me so hope its the same for you!!
Carepage- survivortricia

Change Page: << < ..11121314 > | Showing page 11 of 14, messages 201 to 220 of 271