Visit Komen.org
Lower Your Risk
Prev Thread Prev Thread   Next Thread Next Thread
RIBP & CIPN - Nerve Damage from radiation and chemo treatments
Change Page: < 1234567 > | Showing page 5 of 7, messages 41 to 50 of 63
CindyGraeff

• Total Posts : 23
  • Reward points : 5550
Re:RIBP & CIPN - Nerve Damage from radiation and chemo treatments - Sunday, January 05, 2014 1:56 PM
Winter/cold weather is the worst time of the year for my nerve damage.  Even when its 100 degrees outside, my right arm/hand feels cold to me.... but not as bad as this time of the year.  I am currently taking Cymbalta 60 mg once per day, Gabapentin 1200 mg spread out during the day, and Nortripyline 75 mg at bedtime.  These drugs take some of the edge off of the constant stinging, but thats it.  I still get a lot of breakthrough pain throughout the day and night.  Sleep is disturbed with many occurrences. I have more written about this plus several links to publications that are helpful with understanding our nerve damage.  Sadly, there is nothing to reverse the damage and elimination of the progression.  Stem cell research can bring us all so much once the break through the ceiling.  
http://survivingsurvivorship.blogspot.com/2014/01/cancer-survivor-calamities-ribp-ripn_2.html?showComment=1388766165113#c8532585343534244503
Breast Cancer Survivor
Diagnosed 11/17/05
double radical mastectomy - right tumors 5 & 7 cm - left contained pre cancer cells
100% Estrogen Positive
HER 2 Negative, 5/8 nodes, Stage III
8 chemo cycles - CAT (Cytoxan, Adriamycin, Taxotere) - first 4 Cytoxan Adriamycin;  last 4 Taxotere - completed 05/23/06
33 radiation treatments - along right mastectomy scar and auxillary nodes - completed 08/08/06
Hodgkins Disease S
Sandi Henderson

• Total Posts : 39
  • Reward points : 9945
Re:RIBP & CIPN - Nerve Damage from radiation and chemo treatments - Thursday, April 03, 2014 8:14 PM
I understand all of the frustration. We do not get our old lives back...it is different now. I am an eight year survivor but I do believe our mental health stuff following treatment is key. One of my oncologists told me that I was selfish for not feeling happy that I no longer had cancer. I have had it three times...still not back to anything close to what I thought was normal.
oceanwitty

• Total Posts : 5
  • Reward points : 3795
Re:RIBP & CIPN - Nerve Damage from radiation and chemo treatments - Thursday, May 15, 2014 7:13 PM
Hi Cindy, We could be twins ( - Hodgkins ) re: our treatment for bc except I had more than 10 + nodes. I think I had 42 radiation tx's but that's not my point. First, I'm sorry you are going thru this and the only comfort I feel by reading your post is that now I can confirm to my Neuro Dr. that as he suspected, no, I'm not crazy! I do have positive aspects to my life but it get's harder and harder to keep hopeful the more time that passes. I just celebrated (not really but....) 5 yrs. and I'm not sure how much more my family should have to put up with. I can't work. Commitments are futile no much how much I plan ahead. There's no rhyme or reason to the pattern of my symptoms so now I feel like expecting anything is useless. I have a 10 yr. old daughter so basically, her whole life I've been sick. What kind of mother is that? I'm afraid of that answer! I feel that other than my husband, no one believes me!! To his credit, thank God he does but he has NO IDEA how much I cover up!!! If I complained as much as my condition hurt, it would be rare to see me have a good day!! Besides finding the few posts I've found here, the only other place I've seen this MAJOR CONSEQUENCE of using the drugs they used on us is The Mayo Clinic's Message Board. If you Google "hair loss", there are 100,000 topics. How about "reconstruction"? Ok, stop laughing.... But I'm serious, re: your Adriamycin treatments, did your nurse wear a mask and gloves (up tto her elbows) when she was pushing it? Mine did. I remember the look on her face when I asked her if the mask was really necessary? She was offended at first but then realized where she was....in a chemo room with 10 other cancer patients. She also didn't appreciate my jokes about it either. The other cancer patients loved my chemo days. I know it's my defense mechanism....it's ok I think....because I am aware of the gravity of making jokes about suffering if I am one of the sufferer's. Anyway, truthfully, I don't know if "I would do it all over again". My husband will not tolerate such thoughts but I think if we had an honest, intellectual pro v, con discussion, he would admit this too. To think that you are 4 more years into this, gives me less hope. How do you work? Are you self-employed? I don't want to make you dwell or feel worse so I'll stop here. I hope you have relief from your symptoms soon :-) Laugh often and a lot, Tammy
oceanwitty

• Total Posts : 5
  • Reward points : 3795
Re:RIBP & CIPN - Nerve Damage from radiation and chemo treatments - Thursday, May 15, 2014 7:46 PM
Dear Sandy, I hope it's an EX-oncologist!!! That's awful!!! What about "doing no harm??" Wow!! Ya know, the number 1 question I am asked by low-level medical personnel is "OMG, what did your husband say when you told him about your decision to have the radical double mastectomy?" At first, I was shocked. Now, I simply say "He knew better than to say that!" My surgeon spent more time trying to convince me that I should get a second opinion on reconstructive surgery then she did explaining my cancer and all of the particulars. In all of my follow-up visits, she would try again. Eventually I was cross with her and told her off but she probably would still try if I hadn't said what I said. I couldn't have reconstruction because I was thin to begin with, had small breasts and my diagnosis required so many chemo's (9) and radiation treatments (in the 40's...and yes, it is in my records but I can't remember) and my tumor was so large in my R breast that there wasn't a way (at the time...it was 2008). Anyway, my point is how much energy and attention is given to nonsense is amazing! Serious, life altering side effects are never mentioned...ever!! On this message board, obviously not this topic, I want to respond to some of the newcomers (to breast cancer, not this website)....truthfully. I would never but I do think about it! I don't want to go on and on so I'll leave it there. Laugh often...and a lot :-) Tammy
kthomas41

• Total Posts : 2
  • Reward points : 60
Re:RIBP & CIPN - Nerve Damage from radiation and chemo treatments - Saturday, June 28, 2014 4:33 PM
I too have nerve damage but mine is from a surgery.  I was diagnosed Jan 8th 2013.  I had a bilateral mastectomy and a sentinel node biopsy.  The sentinel node was positive so my surgeon took a few more and stopped. The other nodes were clear.  I had 16 rounds of chemo (ACTH).  I went for a second opinion to a reputable hospital and they told me I should have had all my lymph nodes removed.  They convinced me that it was dangerous if I didn't have the procedure.  I asked what the risks were and they told me I could have a little numbness under my arm.  That was all.
I had an axillary dissection and all the nodes were clear.  The surgeon damaged nerves under my arm and now I have excruciating pain.  I have two fingers that don't work right.  My arm feels like a log but I don't have Lymphodema.  It's been going on for almost 9 months.  I want my life back.  Is there anyone out there that has had this problem and can it be corrected?  I would travel anywhere to get relief.  

susan5775

• Total Posts : 1
  • Reward points : 60
Re:RIBP & CIPN - Nerve Damage from radiation and chemo treatments - Monday, July 07, 2014 9:49 PM
I was diagnosed with DCIS in January, had a lumpectomy in February, and radiation for 33 sessions ending on May 6. I had "sunburn" from the radiation and my underarm and breast are still sensitive and tender 2 months after finishing radiation. After reading other messages, I know I have had it easy and that the sensitivity and tenderness are normal. My doctors have also told me that it could last for months or years. A couple of days ago I was in a pool for a few hours and now the skin seems to be more irritated, not sure if it is from the chlorine, the swimsuit or having the wet swimsuit on for hours. Any thoughts? I
butterflylady

• Total Posts : 3
  • Reward points : 50
Re:RIBP & CIPN - Nerve Damage from radiation and chemo treatments - Thursday, July 24, 2014 7:39 AM
My friends who have had radiation say that the skin stays irritated even years later.  One friend who loved to fish, does not any longer, as the sun even through clothing causes more discomfort.  I am facing radiation and want to know about complications and side effects from brachytherapy.  I have RSD (CRPS) nerve damage in the breast that is already a serious problem.
butterflylady

Re:RIBP & CIPN - Nerve Damage from radiation and chemo treatments - Thursday, July 24, 2014 7:46 AM
Was your nerve damage every diagnosed as RSD/CRPS?  I got nerve damage under the arm without RSD, but the overcompression in radiology before surgery brought on the RSD in the right breast..  I previously had RSD in Right wrist/hand after fall 7 years before the injury to my breast in radiology.
butterflylady

Re:RIBP & CIPN - Nerve Damage from radiation and chemo treatments - Thursday, July 24, 2014 3:23 PM
So sorry to hear about your nerve damage.  Mine is awful, too.
cdicapua

• Total Posts : 72
  • Reward points : 6290
Re:RIBP & CIPN - Nerve Damage from radiation and chemo treatments - Tuesday, August 19, 2014 3:33 PM
I had senitnol node removed and node dissection on my non cancer side. I have severe pain in my fingers never connected the bilateral mas with the hand issues
Cathy DiCapua
mammogram 8/19
dx 9/4
DCIS
Mucinous carcenoma stage 1 a, bilateral mas/w recon 10/19 , Letrozole for 5 yrs
Change Page: < 1234567 > | Showing page 5 of 7, messages 41 to 50 of 63

Jump to:

Icon Legend and Permission
  • New Messages
  • No New Messages
  • Hot Topic w/ New Messages
  • Hot Topic w/o New Messages