Visit Komen.org
Lower Your Risk
Prev Thread Prev Thread   Next Thread Next Thread
RIBP & CIPN - Nerve Damage from radiation and chemo treatments
Change Page: < 1234567 > | Showing page 6 of 7, messages 51 to 60 of 63
JK1083

• Total Posts : 7
  • Reward points : 1315
Re:RIBP & CIPN - Nerve Damage from radiation and chemo treatments - Wednesday, December 10, 2014 10:43 AM
I have a late side effect from chemotherapy that I haven't seen much about. Muscle aches. They started about a month after my last chemo; while I was getting radiation. The aches have persisted for two months so far. Anyone have information about this? I will just be starting Tamoxifen which has muscle aches listed as a possible side effect.
JK1083

• Total Posts : 7
  • Reward points : 1315
Re:RIBP & CIPN - Nerve Damage from radiation and chemo treatments - Thursday, January 01, 2015 9:24 AM
After seeing my Doctor, this is how I understand it: the muscle aches are hormonal from Chemo sending me rapidly into menopause. It is not as bad anymore and tamoxifen has not caused any additional problems.
Dx April 2014: Stage II; grade 3; Chemotherapy,radiation, tamoxifen
Neshamah

• Total Posts : 2
  • Reward points : 195
Re:RIBP & CIPN - Nerve Damage from radiation and chemo treatments - Saturday, January 03, 2015 10:39 PM
I was diagnosed with TNIBC 9-17-12. 18 chemos first. I got so sick after the second I ended up in hospital for 8 days with excruciating pain in bowel and stomach. My tongue was raw. What I now know is that it was the lorazepam given to me by the oncologist that was killing me. For two years I got sicker and sicker. My hands throbbed and my feet were numb and froze. I thought it was the chemo. Nope it was a reaction to lorazepam. Now at 4 months into withdrawal my arm is normal again. My hands are almost back to normal. I could not button my clothes. My hands ached in the car. I had to wear heated booties to bed. Again, it was the lorazepam. My feet aren't as good as hands but are much better. All of the many physical symptoms I had from the drug are now gone. My bowel and stomach problems continued until I stopped the lorazepam. Just check your meds for any kind of benzodiazepine like Ativan or lorazepam. Check the FDA website or google the name of your drug. I did not think I would live until Christmas last August. My lungs ached and I had flu feelings always. My oncologist could not identify a single adverse drug event symptom. I was scoped, scanned, tested and retested. Nothing. I thought it was the cancer or the chemo. It was neither. I have spent the last 4 months researching this class of drugs. NO one should take a benzodiazepine for more than 2-4 weeks.
Neshamah

• Total Posts : 2
  • Reward points : 195
Re:RIBP & CIPN - Nerve Damage from radiation and chemo treatments - Saturday, January 03, 2015 10:39 PM
I was diagnosed with TNIBC 9-17-12. 18 chemos first. I got so sick after the second I ended up in hospital for 8 days with excruciating pain in bowel and stomach. My tongue was raw. What I now know is that it was the lorazepam given to me by the oncologist that was killing me. For two years I got sicker and sicker. My hands throbbed and my feet were numb and froze. I thought it was the chemo. Nope it was a reaction to lorazepam. Now at 4 months into withdrawal my arm is normal again. My hands are almost back to normal. I could not button my clothes. My hands ached in the car. I had to wear heated booties to bed. Again, it was the lorazepam. My feet aren't as good as hands but are much better. All of the many physical symptoms I had from the drug are now gone. My bowel and stomach problems continued until I stopped the lorazepam. Just check your meds for any kind of benzodiazepine like Ativan or lorazepam. Check the FDA website or google the name of your drug. I did not think I would live until Christmas last August. My lungs ached and I had flu feelings always. My oncologist could not identify a single adverse drug event symptom. I was scoped, scanned, tested and retested. Nothing. I thought it was the cancer or the chemo. It was neither. I have spent the last 4 months researching this class of drugs. NO one should take a benzodiazepine for more than 2-4 weeks.
Tess53

• Total Posts : 1
  • Reward points : 50
Re:RIBP & CIPN - Nerve Damage from radiation and chemo treatments - Sunday, February 14, 2016 8:56 PM
Having all the issues that are SIDE effects post Treatment before I get Treatment makes me want to say no thanks on the radiation and Cemo. DX with MS and then 10 yrs later had Perifphreal Neuropathy added in which should have been the first guess.. I already have a lot of the issues mentioned due to the MS. That oncologist may be having to rethink what I'll allow..
2004 Diagnosed with one Life Altering Medical Diagnosis the lovely, Multiple Sclerosis, that ended my career, and makes daily living hard enough, now as of 01/07/2016 I got a new one, Breast Cancer. DCIS less then 1 cm pos estrogen and progesterone, neg HER2. Tess53
Tricia Keegan

• Total Posts : 19215
  • Reward points : 13520
Re:RIBP & CIPN - Nerve Damage from radiation and chemo treatments - Monday, February 15, 2016 1:43 PM
Tess, sorry for your diagnosis although I'm sure the Onc is suggesting the treatment for your good not his own and it's worth throwing what you can at this the first time to help avoid a recurrance in the future, good luck.
Tricia Keegan...From Ireland Dx July '05 IDC 3/9 nodes pos..triple positive..a/c x 4..Taxol/herceptin x 12
Herceptin 1yr ..rads x35 oophorectomy Aug '06
Currently taking Arimidex /Zometa 1 x yearly
Carepage- survivortricia
marianwolf

• Total Posts : 209
  • Reward points : 8850
Re:RIBP & CIPN - Nerve Damage from radiation and chemo treatments - Saturday, April 16, 2016 11:44 AM
This topic has grabbed my attention bc of my own deteriorating health since chemo and rad 4 years ago. Although I pretty much breezed through my actual treatment (and actually felt guilty bc everyone else seemed to have toughed it out).

Prior to BC I enjoyed much good health due mostly to my genes. This began to change after treatment (surgery, chemo, rads). Shortly after rads, I began to have searing pain shoot along my bra line in my back. I brought this to the attention of my surgeon who hadn't heard of any other cases. As the pain broadened across my back I ended up having ultrasounds, twice. The pain prevents me from bending down from a sitting position or any type of bending over. It's a harsh shooting searing pain that almost made me faint once. I've also had an MRI. I still cannot account for nothing showing up on the scans but I can assure you that the pain is real.

Prior to BC treatment I had arthritis in my thumb, lower back and left knee. In the years following this arthritis has spread to all of the joints in my body and I'm chronically in pain. I take meds for the pain (synthetic morphine, meloxicam, tizanidine and gabapentin) but the meds can't take away all the pain. Further, my immune system has weakened progressively worse over time. 

All of this has put interference with my mental well-being and I take meds for that also. What I breezed through in 2011-12, I am now paying for.

I hate the phrase but it applies here: it is what it is.

Someone mentioned acupuncture and I'm going to try it. When I was in my 20s & 30s I had acupuncture treatment for a variety of ills and it always worked...one treatment was all it took.

Anyway, I thought I'd weigh in and check in after all these years.

Marian 

DX June 20, 2011
IDC, E+P-, HER2-, Ki67 49%
Lumpectomy 7/26/11 & 8/23/11   
Lymph nodes clear!   
BRCA 1-/2-
Stage 1, Grade III 
Oncotype: 36%
Taxotere/Cytoxn 1 2 3 4 12/12/11
33 Rads completed 3/16/12
Start Arimidex 3/17/12    

[link=http://www.caringbridge.org/visit/
Tricia Keegan

Re:RIBP & CIPN - Nerve Damage from radiation and chemo treatments - Saturday, April 16, 2016 1:14 PM
Good to hear from you Marian although I'm sorry you've been left with so many issues since your treatment, if you're on Facebook look me up there(or anyone else reading this) as I can add you to the private komen group we have there.
Tricia Keegan...From Ireland Dx July '05 IDC 3/9 nodes pos..triple positive..a/c x 4..Taxol/herceptin x 12
Carepage- survivortricia
Andi1961

• Total Posts : 72
  • Reward points : 9300
Re:RIBP & CIPN - Nerve Damage from radiation and chemo treatments - Saturday, July 16, 2016 10:21 AM
I haven't been on here in a while - fortunately most days I feel pretty good.  I do have some chemo brain, but it's a lot better than it was at first.  I can usually tell within the first 15 minutes of waking whether I am going to have any functioning brain cells that day, and can usually alter my plans and just stay home on those days!  I have neuropathy in my fingertips - no pain - just can't really pick up small items anymore, which can be a nuisance, as I am a quilter.  My biggest lingering issue is the neuropathy in my legs.  Walking up stairs is still a chore.  I have to use the handrail and pull myself along with it.  This, after over 4 years and a stepped-up exercise routine.  Also, and this is weird, I think, but it's what made me look at this forum today after I did yoga - I can't sit with my legs folded under me (Hero's Pose).  It's unbearably painful.  I try and give up because I can't relax all the way and have to hold myself off my legs.  This is so frustrating to me because I used to be very flexible prior to chemo.  Is this a "normal" lingering side effect?  Does anyone else have these issues?

Andi - age 55    
  8/15/2011 IDC Grade 2 Left Breast ER/PR +, Her2 -, Stage IIa
9/12/2011 Lumpectomy - 1.1 cm tumor + DCIS w/positive margins - 1/4 nodes +
10/17/2011 Modified Radical Mastectomy (Left) w/DIEP flap reconstruction
1/5/2012 -Began 6 rounds Cytoxan/Taxotere - DONE!!!! 
4/19/2012 - Lymphedema left arm & hand
5/2012 - DVT Brachial vein right arm
6/2012 - Began Tamoxifen X 10
Tricia Keegan

Re:RIBP & CIPN - Nerve Damage from radiation and chemo treatments - Saturday, July 16, 2016 1:29 PM
Andi I'm really not sure but it's possible the Tamox may be giving you some stiff joints although it's usually the AI's that have that as a side effect. My Onc told me to use a daily supplement of Glucosamine/chondroitin  which may help for this.  I stopped Arimidex after eight year two years ago on the advice of my Onc but just began taking it again after the newer study showed ten years is better. I've been shocked at how stiff and sore I am especially on waking which must be the Arimidex, some of course could be the fact we're getting older but maybe try a supplement and see if it helps.
Carepage- survivortricia
Change Page: < 1234567 > | Showing page 6 of 7, messages 51 to 60 of 63

Jump to:

Icon Legend and Permission
  • New Messages
  • No New Messages
  • Hot Topic w/ New Messages
  • Hot Topic w/o New Messages
  • Locked w/ New Messages
  • Locked w/o New Messages