Lower Your Risk
Prev Thread Prev Thread   Next Thread Next Thread
 And Life Goes ON: Daily Support
Change Page: < 12345678910.. > | Showing page 4 of 27, messages 31 to 40 of 267
Tricia Keegan

• Total Posts : 19215
  • Reward points : 13520
Re:And Life Goes ON: Daily Support - Sunday, April 01, 2012 6:24 AM
Rose we've had the same type of weather for a week and when I went for my medical appts last week I was amazed that everyone seemed so much happier than usual and were smiling and saying hello and its definatly the warmth and sunshine that does it but our temps are to dip a lot this coming week.

I'm sorry to read of so much stress in your work and really hope your daughter manage's a visit to you in May and perhaps the decorating etc will keep you busy enough to take your mind off the worst issue's that trouble you. Pals
Tricia Keegan...From Ireland Dx July '05 IDC 3/9 nodes pos..triple positive..a/c x 4..Taxol/herceptin x 12
Herceptin 1yr ..rads x35 oophorectomy Aug '06
Currently taking Arimidex /Zometa 1 x yearly
Carepage- survivortricia
chelmsing

• Total Posts : 111
  • Reward points : 5760
Re:And Life Goes ON: Daily Support - Sunday, April 01, 2012 10:51 AM
Rose - I understand with the weather.  I just felt so much happier when the weather was better a couple weeks ago and now we are back to our norm.  I'm still expecting a big snowstorm yet - this is still Wisconsin.

I also see my onc this month (tomorrow actually) and am debating about changing too.  He switched locations and I don't like the "largeness" of the UW.  I liked it when I could walk in and they would recognize me and check me in for appointments before I even got up to the desk.  If you want to talk oncs here in town, send me a pm.  I'll see how the appointment goes tomorrow. 

What's helped me get through the stress of our "normal" weather and work stuff this weekend was booking our summer vacation plans.  I haven't taken any time off from work for something fun since Oct 1, 2010.  All my time off for the last 1 1/2 years has been for surgeries, dr appts, or not feeling well from surgeries or chemo.  I'm really looking forward to time off for something else.

Cathy
dx 10/28/10, 11/11/10 lumpectomy, 11/24/10 re-excision of margins, 1/17/11 mastectomy
er+/pr+, 2.4 cm tumor & DCIS
2/14/11 4x dose dense AC followed by 4x Taxol
No rads
7/22/11 DIEP reconstruction for right breast
farla

• Total Posts : 624
  • Reward points : 6720
Re:And Life Goes ON: Daily Support - Sunday, April 01, 2012 9:55 PM
Hi Rose and Cathy, and everyone, I agree about the weather. It was so cold and rainy here yesterday. We had a luncheon (with a congressman!) after services, and then it was just too cold to walk to the mah jongg game. Everything is sprouting, and then it gets cold. I hope all the plants do OK. I also liked a smaller office. I went to a general onc for my treatments - and not the big centers. Every time I had a question, one of 2 doctors spoke to me, not one of many many PAs or NPs. It was better than walking into a door under huge C A N C E R signs - like I had to for the "look good feel better" program. But then again, some of those support services, like support groups, or in house nutritionists etc are not there. I just had to walk away from the TV. My hubby was flicking through, and Mad Men was on while he was flipping. These 2 women were talking about going to doctors, and being sick - like someone was going to die, etc. And in true TV fashion, boy did she look good and healthy. I couldn't stand it. Obviously none of the writers have ever experienced this. I was much better watching Star Trek.
Farla
dx 8/09, R double lumpectomy, invasive mixed DCIS/LCIS
ER + PR + Her -
1/3 Sentinel pos. 1/15 nodes pos
 Stage 2A  Grade 2, Nottingham 6
chemo A/C x4, Taxol x 4 started 9/21/09 DONE!!!
femara  started 2/5/10
rads  2/8/10 DONE!!!
Now - osteoporosis?  Vit D, calcium, and a baby aspirin to boot!
Rena

• Total Posts : 6649
  • Reward points : 12660
Re:And Life Goes ON: Daily Support - Monday, April 02, 2012 9:44 AM
Farla, you play Mah Jongg? That brings back memories for me. I remember the sound of the tiles being mixed up on the table and the voices of my mother and her friends: "One bam," "Two dots."  And my favorite part--when they'd break for coffee and cake! I have my mother's mah jongg set, but no one around here plays.  My mother kept her winnings (and she usually won) in her pishka drawer. For the other ladies, pishka is Yiddish for a box that you put charitable donations in. 
Rena age 66 California Central Coast
29-year survivor
BRCA2-positive
Dx 1986 IDC ER/PR negative 22 positive lymph nodes
CMFVP chemo weekly for one year, 7 weeks radiation
October 2007: New chassis and spark plugs!
farla

• Total Posts : 624
  • Reward points : 6720
Re:And Life Goes ON: Daily Support - Monday, April 02, 2012 8:14 PM
Mah Jongg is so big here! It is a great Shabbos (Saturday afternoon when you can't use electricity (TV, computers, phone) or drive or run errands) activity. I also know several women in their 30s who are not religious who play. I think having that one day a week when you're not running around is great for the kids. We'd play board games, or card games or talk. I've told several of my Christian friends to do this on Sundays - just have a family day. It is great for kids to learn interpersonal communication. Anyway, Rena - get a group together and teach them. We play about 1-2 times a week. And gossip. And eat. Much fun!
Farla
dx 8/09, R double lumpectomy, invasive mixed DCIS/LCIS
ER + PR + Her -
1/3 Sentinel pos. 1/15 nodes pos
 Stage 2A  Grade 2, Nottingham 6
chemo A/C x4, Taxol x 4 started 9/21/09 DONE!!!
femara  started 2/5/10
rads  2/8/10 DONE!!!
Now - osteoporosis?  Vit D, calcium, and a baby aspirin to boot!
Rena

Re:And Life Goes ON: Daily Support - Monday, April 02, 2012 11:15 PM
That sounds great, Farla. We didn't observe Sabbath as we might have. Both my parents had to work on Saturday, and they really didn't have much choice. But I agree that a day of playing games and talking is so nice for a family. We did that a lot when Karen was little. Since she was an only child, she counted on us to play games with her at times. We really enjoyed it. I might try to get some friends interested in mah jongg. 
29-year survivor
BRCA2-positive
chelmsing

• Total Posts : 111
  • Reward points : 5760
Re:And Life Goes ON: Daily Support - Tuesday, April 03, 2012 8:30 PM
Farla and Rena - How do you play with other people and tiles?  I'm only familiar with the electronic versions of the game.

Cathy
dx 10/28/10, 11/11/10 lumpectomy, 11/24/10 re-excision of margins, 1/17/11 mastectomy
er+/pr+, 2.4 cm tumor & DCIS
2/14/11 4x dose dense AC followed by 4x Taxol
No rads
7/22/11 DIEP reconstruction for right breast
Rena

Re:And Life Goes ON: Daily Support - Tuesday, April 03, 2012 9:02 PM
Cathy, the original mah jongg game is from China. The set consists of thick, rectangular tiles with the different symbols on them--they're called bams, cracks, dots, dragons, etc--and they were originally made of ivory. In most modern sets, they're made of some kind of plastic. Each player has a rack to place the tiles on and tries to make "hands" from the tiles--kind of like the hands in gin rummy. The players pick up a tile from the pile on the table, and then discard one--just as you'd do in a game of gin rummy. Each year, the Mah Jongg Federation puts out a card with all the hands for that year. Farla probably can explain that better than I can. 
29-year survivor
BRCA2-positive
sharonma

• Total Posts : 4093
  • Reward points : 10530
Re:And Life Goes ON: Daily Support - Wednesday, April 04, 2012 6:32 AM
It sounds like a fun game!  I'll have to look for it at the game store in town.  My daughter and her bf brought home a fun game called Catan.  Kind of a cross between Risk and Monopoly.
dx ILC/dcis excisional biopsy 5/30/08
r segmental mast (partial) snb 6/4
node neg stage1 gr ll
er+/pr- Her2 - Oncotype Dx 11
R mast 9/22/08 w DIEP
tamox,now AI 
BRCA 1 & 2 NEG
davinci hyst/bso,  
Tricia Keegan

• Total Posts : 19215
  • Reward points : 13520
Re:And Life Goes ON: Daily Support - Wednesday, April 04, 2012 5:04 PM
I've never heard of this Rena but it sounds a little like scrabble??
Tricia Keegan...From Ireland Dx July '05 IDC 3/9 nodes pos..triple positive..a/c x 4..Taxol/herceptin x 12
Herceptin 1yr ..rads x35 oophorectomy Aug '06
Currently taking Arimidex /Zometa 1 x yearly
Carepage- survivortricia
Change Page: < 12345678910.. > | Showing page 4 of 27, messages 31 to 40 of 267

Jump to:

Icon Legend and Permission
  • New Messages
  • No New Messages
  • Hot Topic w/ New Messages
  • Hot Topic w/o New Messages
  • Locked w/ New Messages
  • Locked w/o New Messages