Inflammatory breast cancer question

Sandraz66
  • Total Posts : 3
  • Reward points : 70
Inflammatory breast cancer question - Sunday, June 17, 2012 4:50 PM
Hi, I found a lump in my armpit a week after a "normal" mammogram. My breast on that side is swollen, sometimes itchy. My doctor tried antibiotics, but I went to a surgeon since that did not resolve. I had an ultrasound which showed 3 large nodes but no cancer. I have had them removed and waiting for pathology results, but can the US show negative nodes but still have IBC? I am also on doxycycline since I did have tick bite, but no other real symptoms. 
Thanks
Sandy

Tricia Keegan
  • Total Posts : 19215
  • Reward points : 13520
Re:Inflammatory breast cancer question - Monday, June 18, 2012 12:09 PM
Hi Sandra,

It is possible to have no cancer in the nodes and still have cancer in the breast whether IBC or whatever, you did the right thing having them removed as the only way to be certain is to do this and if any are positive this will show and be noted in the path report as an US cant rule out cancer completly.
IBC is an aggressive cancer and the symptoms can be confused with a breast infection or other things but early detection is all important of course so I'd see what the path report says and if your symptoms persist you may need to be pro active and insist on further tests for peace of mind. 
I'd like to reassure you that the chances are this is nothing too sinister but its best to have it checked and good luck and keep us posted!
Tricia Keegan...From Ireland Dx July '05 IDC 3/9 nodes pos..triple positive..a/c x 4..Taxol/herceptin x 12
Herceptin 1yr ..rads x35 oophorectomy Aug '06
Currently taking Arimidex /Zometa 1 x yearly
Carepage- survivortricia

Sandraz66
  • Total Posts : 3
  • Reward points : 70
Re:Inflammatory breast cancer question - Monday, June 18, 2012 7:04 PM
Thanks Tricia, I appreciate your response. I didn't know about the ultrasound and how that all works. It was the surgeons idea to remove them, and I thought it was only going to be the large one and was actually surprised that she took them all, but I think it was the best thing. So now just waiting for the report.