Visit Komen.org
Lower Your Risk
Prev Thread Prev Thread   Next Thread Next Thread
 New to all of this!
karyn13

• Total Posts : 2
  • Reward points : 90
New to all of this! - Saturday, July 06, 2013 7:39 PM
hello my name is karyn, I found out about a week ago I have breast cancer, stage 1. The doctor has been great, he is moving fast to do the surgery. Its less than 2 in size and has not spread any where else which as I understand is good. I am looking at this positive but we are all human and the mind will always think twice. I have two daughters, we are doing this together. What is crazy about this whole things is I was called my the doctor the same day as my brothers wake. He passed from cancer not the same as went I have and I do not have all the illness he had. So I have not told me family at all because I don't want they to think negative. I don't want they to think the worse for me, we are different in many ways. Meaning my brother and I. My emotions are all over the place, missing my brother and being positive for myself. I decide to tell my family this coming Sunday, we are having a brunch in my home to tell them. My daughters and I even are making bags that will inform them about breast cancer. I have reach out to support groups because of the passing of my brother and what I am going throw. Its a lot at one time! One thing I guess I look for is that confirmation that everything will be ok for me. It was crazy because the doctor did not feel a lump, it was the sonogram that show the mass. I am glad it was found early.
scootersmom

• Total Posts : 1277
  • Reward points : 12250
Re:New to all of this! - Saturday, July 06, 2013 10:21 PM
Karyn:

Welcome.  It sounds like everything was caught early and that is a good thing.  You didn't say what type of surgery (lumpectomy or mastectomy).  Once you and your doctor meet to go over your game plan, things will seem to be a little easier.

You asked for a confirmation that everything will be ok.  What I can tell you is that treatments are doable and that there are many survivors on this website who have had higher stages.  

I am sorry for the loss of your brother but I would ask the doctor to run a genetic test on you to see if you are a carrier of the BRCA mutations since your brother just died of cancer.  I can understand the emotions being all over the place.  When I was diagnosed, I had lost my father three months earlier and the day that I found out I needed to go for a biopsy my brother was in ICU at the same hospital.  He nearly died two days previously.

The one thing you will definitely find out is that there is alot of waiting and it makes up crazy.  Just know that we are here for you when you need us.

Good luck.
Tina    
dx 2/1/11 DCIS
Lumpectomy 2/27 results DCIS/LCIS Stage 0 ER+ PR+
Bi-lateral Mastectomy 4/26 with expanders 
6/3 Surgery to remove contaminated expander due to infection.
7/22/11 Surgery to reinsert the expander. 
10/11/2011 Surgery to replace tissue expanders with implants.

Tricia Keegan

• Total Posts : 19215
  • Reward points : 13465
Re:New to all of this! - Sunday, July 07, 2013 5:56 AM
Hi Karyn and welcome,

I'm so sorry for  your loss and your diagnosis, it does indeed sound like you have a great prognosis and I wish you well with your treatments.  Its sad they don't know more of this disease and why one person can do so well while another does not, however I'm sure your family will rally round and give you all the support to help you through this time. xx
Tricia Keegan...From Ireland Dx July '05 IDC 3/9 nodes pos..triple positive..a/c x 4..Taxol/herceptin x 12
Herceptin 1yr ..rads x35 oophorectomy Aug '06
Currently taking Arimidex /Zometa 1 x yearly
Carepage- survivortricia
Debra G56

• Total Posts : 23
  • Reward points : 6715
Re:New to all of this! - Sunday, July 07, 2013 9:20 AM
Hi Karyn,  I am so sorry you have to go through this.  I am also sorry for the loss of your brother.  Thankfully your breast cancer was caught early so your prognosis should be excellent.  I was lucky enough to only have a partial mastectomy followed by radiation and am now on hormone therapy.  Even though I had excellent doctors and good news at every turn, it was still a very emotional journey.  I am here to help you.  If you need someone to talk to, I would be happy to give you my phone #.
karyn13

• Total Posts : 2
  • Reward points : 90
Re:New to all of this! - Sunday, July 14, 2013 4:58 AM
Thank you all for the kind words and support. I am having partial mastectomy and also followed by radiation. I am not sure about hormone therapy. I am 50 and menopause has started. After reading all your comments, it brings some easy to my mind that I will be ok. Today, I am having a lunch at my home with my family to tell them. I am provide them with information on what to watch out for and also supplying them with supplement that will help prevent cancer. I am the first of my family to have this, as I know so far. It going to be a busy week for me, surgery on Monday. Right now I feel ok.
Tricia Keegan

• Total Posts : 19215
  • Reward points : 13465
Re:New to all of this! - Sunday, July 14, 2013 5:45 AM
Karyn, good luck Monday, sadly no supplement can avoid us getting this but I'm sure a healthy diet and exercise is a good idea for everyone.:)
Tricia Keegan...From Ireland Dx July '05 IDC 3/9 nodes pos..triple positive..a/c x 4..Taxol/herceptin x 12
Herceptin 1yr ..rads x35 oophorectomy Aug '06
Currently taking Arimidex /Zometa 1 x yearly
Carepage- survivortricia

Jump to:

Icon Legend and Permission
  • New Messages
  • No New Messages
  • Hot Topic w/ New Messages
  • Hot Topic w/o New Messages
  • Locked w/ New Messages
  • Locked w/o New Messages
  • Read Message