Which vitamins are safe?

Leah1907
  • Total Posts : 108
  • Reward points : 6650
Which vitamins are safe? - Sunday, July 07, 2013 5:57 PM
Hello all ~ I am wondering if anyone has info to share regarding what vitamins are safe/beneficial after a BC diagnosis.  I know Black Cohosh is off limits, but I'm wondering about the more basic vitamins such as Co Q 10, Multivitamins, etc, etc.  I did ask my Oncologist but he wasn't much help.  I am not having chemo so I don't have to worry about interfering substances from that. Thanks,
Leah
Leah - Wisconsin
2/8/13 DCIS in left breast, ER+ PR+
3/11/13 skin and nipple sparing mast of left breast with expander
5/9/13 expander replaced with saline implant
5/28/13-7/5/13 radiation 
11/26/13 augmentation of the right, healthy breast with implant
12/2/13 LCIS in right, "healthy" breast
2/5/14 skin and nipple sparing mast of right breast with final implant

Tricia Keegan
  • Total Posts : 19215
  • Reward points : 13520
Re:Which vitamins are safe? - Monday, July 08, 2013 1:38 AM
Hi Leah,

Many of my friends take co q 10 and I've heard its good but I don't take anything else as do believe we get everything we need if we have a good diet but perhaps others can help you or you could ask to see a nuturionist if you think you need to take some.
Tricia Keegan...From Ireland Dx July '05 IDC 3/9 nodes pos..triple positive..a/c x 4..Taxol/herceptin x 12
Herceptin 1yr ..rads x35 oophorectomy Aug '06
Currently taking Arimidex /Zometa 1 x yearly
Carepage- survivortricia

ElaineQW
  • Total Posts : 4705
  • Reward points : 10730
Re:Which vitamins are safe? - Monday, July 08, 2013 5:50 AM
Leah, I am like Tricia - I don't take any supplements and try to get what I need from eating nutritiously.  It makes me more conscious :)  It was my onco doc who suggested that I didn't need to take any supplements.  Also, I work out 5 times a week.  

Hug
Elaine

A person's greatness is the power to stand alone;to be able to make her own choice; in action,to write anew her own law; to choose her own sacrifices; run her own dangers; win her own freedom; venture her own destruction; to choose her own happiness 

Leah1907
Re:Which vitamins are safe? - Monday, July 08, 2013 7:44 PM
Thanks ladies ~ Yes, I do make a very conscious effort to eat well (and organically) and exercise, but there are some vitamins/minerals I just can't get from diet alone (Vit D for example).   I found an interesting article on flaxseed (which I also add to my diet).  I wish I could find a holistic thinking MD in my area.  I'm a firm believer in combining Eastern and Western medicine.

Thanks for your thoughts,
Leah
Leah - Wisconsin
5/28/13-7/5/13 radiation 

suz777
  • Total Posts : 793
  • Reward points : 7575
Re:Which vitamins are safe? - Thursday, August 21, 2014 5:53 AM
It's really sad your onco wasn't much help in this area! I'd consider a second opinion. My oncologist has a list of all medications/supplements and I'm required to check it each month in case anything has changed. She wants me to take Calcium and Vit D and is OK with other supplements as long as I list them and she can see what I'm taking (in case something ever comes up I shouldnt do). My family historically doesnt absorb B vitamins well, so I supplement sublingually with Vit B12 and Biotin. It really helps me. I also chew or suck on Vit C tabs here and there during the day (up to 2,000 max). Suzanne

Tricia Keegan
Re:Which vitamins are safe? - Thursday, August 21, 2014 1:25 PM
Leah I do take calcium/vit d on my Onc's advice, however I'm not certain if I read the oil or the actual seed in Flaxseed can be harmful of hormone positive so do check that out again just in case, I got a lot of info about it on www.her2support.org 
Tricia Keegan...From Ireland Dx July '05 IDC 3/9 nodes pos..triple positive..a/c x 4..Taxol/herceptin x 12
Carepage- survivortricia

ElaineQW
  • Total Posts : 4705
  • Reward points : 10730
Re:Which vitamins are safe? - Thursday, August 21, 2014 3:12 PM
P.S.  I do take Vit D supplement as my blood word came back just under the norm.

I stay away from flaxseed but do add chia seeds to my morning smoothie.

A person's greatness is the power to stand alone;to be able to make her own choice; in action,to write anew her own law; to choose her own sacrifices; run her own dangers; win her own freedom; venture her own destruction; to choose her own happiness 

Tricia Keegan
Re:Which vitamins are safe? - Thursday, August 21, 2014 3:50 PM
This link may help https://www.oncologynutrition.org/erfc/hot-topics/flaxseeds-and-breast-cancer/
Carepage- survivortricia

Leah1907
Re:Which vitamins are safe? - Saturday, August 23, 2014 7:18 PM
From my understanding, we should adding flax seed to our diets.  Not avoiding it.  According to the link Tricia had included, it states "In postmenopausal women, lignans can cause the body to produce less active forms of estrogen. This is believed to potentially reduce breast cancer risk. There is evidence that adding ground flaxseeds into the diet decreases cell growth in breast tissue as well. Again, this would be the type of change that would be expected to decrease breast cancer risk."

I have also found this site to be helpful since I enjoy using spices in my food.  http://community.breastcancer.org/livegreen/for-your-health-add-spice/

In WebMd at  http://www.webmd.com/diet/features/benefits-of-flaxseed it states "Lignans may help protect against cancer by blocking enzymes that are involved in hormone metabolism and interfering with the growth and spread of tumor cells."

<message edited by Leah1907 on Saturday, August 23, 2014 7:19 PM>
Leah - Wisconsin
5/28/13-7/5/13 radiation