Visit Komen.org
Lower Your Risk
Prev Thread Prev Thread   Next Thread Next Thread
 Hello from Ontario
Georgie121

• Total Posts : 1
  • Reward points : 50
Hello from Ontario - Friday, July 19, 2013 12:58 PM
My name is Georgie and I was diagnosed in 2007, had a BLM, and was diagnosed with adrenal carcenoma, gioblastoma, and esphogal and have been recently classed terminal. I would like information concerning palitive care vs hospice care? Thanks in advance for your replies.
Georgie
I am now battling my sixth and seventh cancers and have been diagnosed terminal. I have ran a support group called Breast Cancer Survivors Support Group on Facebook with over 1,280 members since 2007. Feel free to join and look me up.
Georgie Hanson
LisaD

• Total Posts : 45
  • Reward points : 5395
Re:Hello from Ontario - Friday, July 19, 2013 1:48 PM
I am not sure I have the correct answer to your question, but I will tell you what was explained to me in relation to various relatives who have passed. Palliative care is usually in your home and given by those you love. Generally a care provider sees you to assess your needs for pain control etc. You are kept free from pain and are fed and hydrated, etc. Hospice care is given either in the home or at a hospice center. Your daily care is provided by trained personnel. You are kept free from pain however, you receive food and any hydration only as you are able to consume it yourself. For example, if you should slip into unconsciousness, you would not receive an IV or any other means of intervention. The focus of both is to allow dignity and comfort when we journey from this life into the next. My thoughts and prayers are with you as you begin this next stage in life that we must all travel at some point.
Lisa, Age 51 @ DX Lumpectomy 8/30/12 
-1.5cm Stage 1a IDC Grade 2, DCIS Grade 3 
-ER/PR Poss, HER2 Equivocal 2(Borderline), FISH Neg, 
-Node Neg, OncotypeDX 25
- T/C x 6 (done 1/28/13)
-33 Rads (done 4/18/13)
-Tamoxifen (4/19/13 for 10 yrs)
Tricia Keegan

• Total Posts : 19215
  • Reward points : 13520
Re:Hello from Ontario - Friday, July 19, 2013 5:58 PM
I have to thank Lisa for posting her reply with this information, I live in Ireland and here Pallaitive and Hospice care are the same thing, ie to keep a terminal patient comfortable and free from pain whether at home or in a hospice as they pass from this world to the next b so by what Lisa says this differs from our country to yours.  
I'd also like to send my love and regret for your condition, and wish you peace. 
Tricia Keegan...From Ireland Dx July '05 IDC 3/9 nodes pos..triple positive..a/c x 4..Taxol/herceptin x 12
Herceptin 1yr ..rads x35 oophorectomy Aug '06
Currently taking Arimidex /Zometa 1 x yearly
Carepage- survivortricia

Jump to:

Icon Legend and Permission
  • New Messages
  • No New Messages
  • Hot Topic w/ New Messages
  • Hot Topic w/o New Messages
  • Locked w/ New Messages
  • Locked w/o New Messages
  • Read Message