Feb. 17, 2014 Lumpectomy

Susie C
  • Total Posts : 6
  • Reward points : 3695
Feb. 17, 2014 Lumpectomy - Sunday, February 09, 2014 8:08 AM
I have been scheduled for a lumpectomy on February 17, 2014 (IDC dx after new microcalcifications noted on mammogram).

Last week I had an MRI, to know all there is to know BEFORE going under the knife. Good news.....no cancer in left breast, only the biopsied site in the right breast, marker is right at tumor site, tumor estimated to be 6mm x 7mm (consistent with estimation based on biopsy), nodes appear to be unswollen and clear.

So, I'm ready to move forward on this thing. Not looking forward to the surgery, but anxious to get some more information and start my road to recovery.

Wish me luck!

Tricia Keegan
  • Total Posts : 19215
  • Reward points : 13465
Re:Feb. 17, 2014 Lumpectomy - Sunday, February 09, 2014 8:43 AM
Sending good wishes to you Susie, I had a lumpectomy too and found the recovery fast and have never regretted my decision, good luck!
Tricia Keegan...From Ireland Dx July '05 IDC 3/9 nodes pos..triple positive..a/c x 4..Taxol/herceptin x 12
Herceptin 1yr ..rads x35 oophorectomy Aug '06
Currently taking Arimidex /Zometa 1 x yearly
Carepage- survivortricia

scootersmom
  • Total Posts : 1277
  • Reward points : 12250
Re:Feb. 17, 2014 Lumpectomy - Sunday, February 09, 2014 8:59 AM
When I had my lumpectomy, I was told I needed to stay off work for two weeks since I had a desk job.  After two days I was bored.  Good luck with your surgery.
Tina    
dx 2/1/11 DCIS
Lumpectomy 2/27 results DCIS/LCIS Stage 0 ER+ PR+
Bi-lateral Mastectomy 4/26 with expanders 
6/3 Surgery to remove contaminated expander due to infection.
7/22/11 Surgery to reinsert the expander. 
10/11/2011 Surgery to replace tissue expanders with implants.

suz777
  • Total Posts : 793
  • Reward points : 7575
Re:Feb. 17, 2014 Lumpectomy - Wednesday, February 19, 2014 5:14 AM
Hi, Susie! I hope you are recovering well. I had a lumpectomy in 2006 and had a short recovery time as well. I was allowed to return to work sooner, but maybe it depends on tumor location and how deep they are going? I did a couple of half days at first that helped make the return easier. DON'T be afraid to ask for help with things....laundry, dishes, etc. Don't overdue. People want to help usually and don't be afraid to turn down their kindness...hoping there are lots of kindnesses being tossed your way right now! (I know, sometimes we still feel 'alone' because people don't quite understand all we are going through....hence these message boards are great...but do take whatever help you get offered if eases any part of your day.) I know something as simple as someone giving my daughter a ride somewhere made some days a lot easier too. The ACS also refers people to volunteers who help with rides to appt like chemo and radiation from what I understand. I never used that service because I had rides, but I think it's a wonderful option also. Try this link if needed: http://www.cancer.org/treatment/supportprogramsservices/road-to-recovery Best wishes...let us know how you are doing. If you're pain meds aren't good, ask for different ones. I was sent home with Darvocet which only made me feel drugged and loopy; I called in and they gave me Vicodin instead. Suzanne