Visit Komen.org
Lower Your Risk
Prev Thread Prev Thread   Next Thread Next Thread
 LindaJG
LindaJG

• Total Posts : 1
  • Reward points : 50
LindaJG - Tuesday, February 11, 2014 6:27 AM
Just Diagnosed, very scared, i unfortunately know some people who are survivors, but would like to get some feedback on what to do next from other people as well. I do have great support from my husband and family, but would like to know how to help my children with this process as well? My daughters are 19 and 22 and my son is 17. Again, just starting the process, will be visiting surgeons and would like to know what i should look for. Any help is greatly appreciated.
Tricia Keegan

• Total Posts : 19215
  • Reward points : 13520
Re:LindaJG - Tuesday, February 11, 2014 12:36 PM
Hi Linda,

Just take one day at a time for now, all children regardless of age can be amazingly resilient I found and my daughter's were my rock and a great support to me. I'd be sure to tell them how so many new drugs have ensured there are many long term survivors and cancer is not what it once was!  
Please keep us posted on your treatment and what you and your surgeon decide on, weigh up all your options and if researching stick to reputable sites like here and www.breastcancer.org 
Tricia Keegan...From Ireland Dx July '05 IDC 3/9 nodes pos..triple positive..a/c x 4..Taxol/herceptin x 12
Herceptin 1yr ..rads x35 oophorectomy Aug '06
Currently taking Arimidex /Zometa 1 x yearly
Carepage- survivortricia
ElaineQW

• Total Posts : 4705
  • Reward points : 10730
Re:LindaJG - Tuesday, February 11, 2014 1:45 PM
Hi Linda,

I agree with Tricia on all counts.  One thing - try to have another person with you at doc visits.  An extra set of ears is always helpful.  You will be getting lots of information, choices, etc.  Be sure to ask any question you want when talking to your docs/surgeons, etc.  Don't edit yourself.  

Let us know how you're doing.  We're here 24/7 :)

Hug
Elaine

A person's greatness is the power to stand alone;to be able to make her own choice; in action,to write anew her own law; to choose her own sacrifices; run her own dangers; win her own freedom; venture her own destruction; to choose her own happiness 

sue21

• Total Posts : 12
  • Reward points : 8915
Re:LindaJG - Tuesday, February 11, 2014 4:42 PM
Just saw your post. I was diagnosed with Stage IIB breast cancer January 2005. I was just about to turn 49 years old with one son who was a freshman away at college and the other a junior in HS who was 16. I worried more about my two sons than anything in the world. I couldn't even tell them I had cancer and made mu husband tell them. To tell you how resilient they are at that age - my 16 year old is now 25 and graduating from Med School ( I wonder what made him think of that) was the one home with me through everything even walked me out of the hospital after my mastectomy because I did not want to wait for the transport. He came to the first chemo session with my husband, he even had to drive me to appointments after my reconstruction (tram flap) all during his junior and senior years of HS. We visited colleges with my wig on ( Had to by a hat at one because it was so windy my wig nearly blew of)

He mentioned the other day when we were reminiscing of the time - he just thought I was sick with something bad and I would get better with the help of medicine and doctors. He never really thought about the word cancer and never really worried about something terrible happening. He mentioned how he was more into his 16 year old world> he feels bad about how he didn't think too much about it and I think it is great! 

I wish you the best of luck and try to keep a positive attitude. You children will greatly surprise you. Family is everything
scootersmom

• Total Posts : 1277
  • Reward points : 12250
Re:LindaJG - Tuesday, February 11, 2014 10:35 PM
Hi Linda--It does get better and once your treatment plan is in place some of the scariest things will fade away.  Right now is the terrifying part. All the emotions are running rampant..  It will calm down once you have more information on the type of cancer and the treatment plan.

Know that there are women on this site that are long term survivors.  You found this site and more "sisters" than you realized.  We are hear for you.

Good luck.
Tina    
dx 2/1/11 DCIS
Lumpectomy 2/27 results DCIS/LCIS Stage 0 ER+ PR+
Bi-lateral Mastectomy 4/26 with expanders 
6/3 Surgery to remove contaminated expander due to infection.
7/22/11 Surgery to reinsert the expander. 
10/11/2011 Surgery to replace tissue expanders with implants.

Wilson

• Total Posts : 6
  • Reward points : 50
Re:LindaJG - Tuesday, March 25, 2014 1:36 PM
Journaling, prayer,open your heart to any support, from strangers, friends etc

Jump to:

Icon Legend and Permission
  • New Messages
  • No New Messages
  • Hot Topic w/ New Messages
  • Hot Topic w/o New Messages
  • Locked w/ New Messages