Surgery results for flap.

palucero
  • Total Posts : 4
  • Reward points : 85
Surgery results for flap. - Tuesday, April 08, 2014 11:34 AM
After 8 years of trying to get an implant to work I had it removed last June 2013.  Now my doctors are talking about a flap, some problems with that is I had radiation, I have had 3 C-Section (up and down) and I have bad scar tissue problems.  I have until Monday 14 April 2014 to make this decision.  If anyone has some advice I would appreciate it.  

Patti Lucero

Tricia Keegan
  • Total Posts : 19215
  • Reward points : 13520
Re:Surgery results for flap. - Tuesday, April 08, 2014 1:55 PM
Hi Patti,

I didn't have recon so can't help with advice much but wanted to suggest you check the surgery/recon forum while you wait for someone to reply who can help you, you may see some info there on this procedure.
Tricia Keegan...From Ireland Dx July '05 IDC 3/9 nodes pos..triple positive..a/c x 4..Taxol/herceptin x 12
Herceptin 1yr ..rads x35 oophorectomy Aug '06
Currently taking Arimidex /Zometa 1 x yearly
Carepage- survivortricia

palucero
Re:Surgery results for flap. - Tuesday, April 08, 2014 3:59 PM
Thanks I will, I am new to the Komen message boards.

Hi Patti,

I didn't have recon so can't help with advice much but wanted to suggest you check the surgery/recon forum while you wait for someone to reply who can help you, you may see some info there on this procedure.

Tricia Keegan
  • Total Posts : 19215
  • Reward points : 13520
Re:Surgery results for flap. - Tuesday, April 08, 2014 4:19 PM
I'm glad you've joined us Patti, some days are a little quiet but do check back regularly as I'm sure some of our members can help you.
Tricia Keegan...From Ireland Dx July '05 IDC 3/9 nodes pos..triple positive..a/c x 4..Taxol/herceptin x 12
Herceptin 1yr ..rads x35 oophorectomy Aug '06
Currently taking Arimidex /Zometa 1 x yearly
Carepage- survivortricia

sharonma
  • Total Posts : 4093
  • Reward points : 10530
Re:Surgery results for flap. - Wednesday, April 09, 2014 8:10 AM
Hi Patti,

I had a diep 5 1/2 years ago.  I had a previous c-section and appendectomy ( the c-section was a horizontal incision).
However I did not have rads, so that will most likely factor into the equation.

My best advice would be to 1.  Get at least two opinions, 2. Go to a very experienced surgeon.  I chose a doc at a large cancer center who did only cancer reconstruction surgeries., and he was my third interview. 
Ask how many he/she has done.  What is your success rate for patients in MY situation.  What are the most common complications you have had.  What is your failure/infection rate.  
It is a major surgery, and a significant recovery period, but the result is great and with a skillful surgeon, your breasts will match and "age " together.
Best of luck in your search to find the right doc.  
dx ILC/dcis excisional biopsy 5/30/08
r segmental mast (partial) snb 6/4
node neg stage1 gr ll
er+/pr- Her2 - Oncotype Dx 11
R mast 9/22/08 w DIEP
tamox,now AI 
BRCA 1 & 2 NEG
davinci hyst/bso,  

lorililly
  • Total Posts : 5
  • Reward points : 140
Re:Surgery results for flap. - Wednesday, April 09, 2014 9:38 PM
I was thinking about getting the flap done but I heard you can't lift more than 25bls forever and you could have a hard time doing lots of things so I am doing implants on the 14th 

palucero
Re:Surgery results for flap. - Thursday, April 10, 2014 6:31 AM
Thank you I hope to come back in the future and keep connected, one thing that surprised me after my diagnoses was how many people shared with me.  I want to do the same to help take some of the fear away and give others hope at a difficult time.

palucero
Re:Surgery results for flap. - Thursday, April 10, 2014 6:38 AM
I appreciate the advice and in most situation getting a second opinion is easy but I am a Veteran and that is not possible.  I had a great plastic surgeon for over 8 years but he recently passed away unexpectedly, I have only seen my new doctors twice and we will see.  I have had faith through all of this and I have had great doctors through out all of my care.  I have done some research and will do some more this weekend to be better educated by Monday and will take my time.  I do need to be able to walk in The 3 Day in August in Michigan so I will time this all to my advantage.  Thank you all I hope all of you are well.  Please keep passing on information.  When I started down this road I had no idea what I was in for, I hope I can help some before they they even get the diagnoses.  Thanks and God Bless.  

sharonma
  • Total Posts : 4093
  • Reward points : 10530
Re:Surgery results for flap. - Thursday, April 10, 2014 7:28 AM
Patti,
Here is some info on the diep.  Although you may be restricted to one doc, the questions are even more important in making your decision

http://www.microsurgeon.org/diepbreastreconstruction. 

Lori,
If you have a traditional diep flap, there is no loss of muscle.  Lifting restriction of 5 lbs for the first few weeks , but none after healing.  My post surgical goal was my beloved skiing, and had to be able to right myself on a steep slope.  I also wanted to avoid an implant if possible.

So the bottom line is choosing a reconstructive surgery (or not) that meets your goals and expectations, as well as choosing a doctor who will work to get you there.
dx ILC/dcis excisional biopsy 5/30/08
r segmental mast (partial) snb 6/4
node neg stage1 gr ll
er+/pr- Her2 - Oncotype Dx 11
R mast 9/22/08 w DIEP
tamox,now AI 
BRCA 1 & 2 NEG
davinci hyst/bso,