Male Breast Cancer and Medicare

Redstone
  • Total Posts : 3
  • Reward points : 65
Male Breast Cancer and Medicare - Tuesday, May 19, 2015 9:36 PM
I am disabled, on medicare also, has any males here gone through it with medicare and how well do they pay the bills? Thanks

Tricia Keegan
  • Total Posts : 19215
  • Reward points : 13465
Re:Male Breast Cancer and Medicare - Wednesday, May 20, 2015 6:38 AM
Hi Redstone,

I can't help with your query but hope you may find something to help here while waiting for others to reply https://apps.komen.org/forums/tt.aspx?forumid=68
Tricia Keegan...From Ireland Dx July '05 IDC 3/9 nodes pos..triple positive..a/c x 4..Taxol/herceptin x 12
Herceptin 1yr ..rads x35 oophorectomy Aug '06
Currently taking Arimidex /Zometa 1 x yearly
Carepage- survivortricia

Nuzzys Nana
  • Total Posts : 4498
  • Reward points : 10085
Re:Male Breast Cancer and Medicare - Wednesday, May 20, 2015 11:09 PM
I hope you find your answers. I cannot believe that Medicare would treat male breast cancer any differently than the female version of the disease. I do not think that Medicare discriminates along gender lines when it comes to any ailment. Let us know if that assumption is wrong. Good luck and keep us posted.
Lumpectomy 4/14/05 at age 69
Stage 1, 2cm, Node Negative
Grade 3, Triple Negative
AC/Taxol, Radiation,
BRCA2 positive (It's always something!)
No Family History

Redstone
  • Total Posts : 3
  • Reward points : 65
Re:Male Breast Cancer and Medicare - Thursday, May 21, 2015 7:40 AM
I have a very strange situation. I live in Wisconsin, (Sauk County) And am disabled. I have medicare A,B, and D prescription through a Humana / Walmart plan. But the A & B are just the plain Medicare Coverage. No extra supplemental stuff. I have had friends and relatives get screwed over by both medicare and Humana thinking a procedure will be paid for, only to either have it not be, or at a great reduced rate. And that is my delimmena, I suspect I may have it. by all the on line research I have looked at. symptoms, images etc.. BUT....... I will NOT in any way burden my family with more medical bills. If this is not covered, and I have no way yet to learn if it is or not yet, I would rather Die, than to put my family in any huge medical debt. So I am trying to find out what is a typical cost for this cancer treatment before I even decide to go and get it checked out.

Nuzzys Nana
  • Total Posts : 4498
  • Reward points : 10085
Re:Male Breast Cancer and Medicare - Friday, May 22, 2015 11:30 AM
The only way you will learn if you even have breast cancer is to have a qualified physician examine you and do the necessary diagnostic tests some of which might be fully covered. If you contact your health care provider they will be in the position to advise you regarding costs. Your primary care physician is a good place to start and they can guide you from there. Do you have a "high deductible" policy? Most policies provide guidelines in writing that tell you exactly what expenses you are responsible for. Have you researched your own coverage or are you just speculating? You must take the first steps to find out exactly what you are dealing with.************Keep us posted once you get some answers from people who are qualified to provide them. Good luck!
Lumpectomy 4/14/05 at age 69
Stage 1, 2cm, Node Negative
Grade 3, Triple Negative
AC/Taxol, Radiation,
BRCA2 positive (It's always something!)
No Family History

karey
  • Total Posts : 557
  • Reward points : 11690
Re:Male Breast Cancer and Medicare - Saturday, May 23, 2015 4:03 AM
I was not on Medicare when I had cancer treatment in 2008 but I do have Medicare now plus a Medicare Advantage Plan. On your Medicare card there is a phone number you can call to ask any questions about what they will or will not cover. Actually I had to call them with some questions during the interim period before Medicare went into effect (I'm on Medicare due to a disability from a condition not related to cancer) and they were very helpful. You have to ask the right questions. I did a bit of research and no, Medicare does not cover screening mammograms for men but you have to understand that a screening mammogram is a routine test to detect the presence of lumps or any other abnormalities. My cancer was detected during a routine mammogram. A diagnostic mammogram which does appear to be covered by Medicare for men as well as women is a different matter altogether. When an abnormality is detected on a routine mammogram, a diagnostic mammogram is performed. I can't say for sure because like I said, unlike a lot of people who go in because they have detected a lump, my tumor was detected during a routine mammogram, I would guess that if you go in and the doctor believes it could be breast cancer, you would have a diagnostic mammogram and a biopsy. Your initial visit to the doctor, should be covered as usual by Medicare. Your doctor will take a look at it and determine if indeed this looks like it could possibly be cancer or realizes this is something else. At that point, you can discuss exactly what needs to be done as well as the cost and you can then contact Medicare to see what would be covered as well as what percent of that you would be responsible for.
Kathy
Diagnosed at age 47
DX: 12/13/07 IDC Stage IIa Grade 3 3.5 cm TN
Lumpectomy 1/30/08 SNB neg
Chemo-2/29/08: 4 A/C 4 Taxol-Done 6/6/08! NED!
33 Rads 7/7/08-8/20/08 Done!
12/10/09 Now Ruptured Brain Aneurysm Survivor!

RIS
  • Total Posts : 1
  • Reward points : 50
Re:Male Breast Cancer and Medicare - Friday, May 29, 2015 2:53 PM
- [This post was marked as helpful]
If you just have part A and B then you will have the following costs for a diagnostic mammogram...

20% of the Medicare-approved amount and the Part B deductible which is $147 annually (you may have already met this if you have been to the doctor this year)

If you need radiation & chemotherapy you will pay 20% of the medicare approved amount.

Depending on when you became eligible for Medicare you still may be able to enroll in a supplemental or advantage plan that will lower your out of pocket costs in exchange for a monthly premium.