Changing Insurance

Kootiebear
  • Total Posts : 29
  • Reward points : 995
Changing Insurance - Wednesday, July 22, 2015 5:51 PM
My husband got a job with the state and the insurance is much better than the one we have through my employer. We are dealing with the red tape of switching and I am stressing out. My hubby has done a wonderful job of asking about pre existing conditions with his HR person and the insurance company itself. He was told his new employer would not exclude me. Coincidentally it is the same insurance company even with his employer just a much better plan. We are confused as to when to cancel the insurance with my work. We already have the new insurance cards and his insurance is in effect. We have been giving a copy of the new card to all the doctors that are treating me and we checked that they are still covered under his new plan. What happens to all the bills still coming under the old plan once we cancel the coverage?
Carrie Annual mammogram on 4/29/15 Follow up mammogram 5/1/15 Biopsy 5/11/15 DCIS Right Breast Diagnosis 5/14/15 Breast MRI 5/18/15 Lumpectomy partial mastectomy on 6/4/15. 16 treatments of Radiation Therapy. Tamoxifen Medication therapy started 8/31/15 for 5 years. Genetic testing showed I do not have the BRCA gene. My sister is a breast cancer survivor for 10 years.

Tricia Keegan
  • Total Posts : 19215
  • Reward points : 13520
Re:Changing Insurance - Thursday, July 23, 2015 4:18 AM
Sorry I can't help you Carrie but hope someone else can.
Tricia Keegan...From Ireland Dx July '05 IDC 3/9 nodes pos..triple positive..a/c x 4..Taxol/herceptin x 12
Herceptin 1yr ..rads x35 oophorectomy Aug '06
Currently taking Arimidex /Zometa 1 x yearly
Carepage- survivortricia

Nuzzys Nana
  • Total Posts : 4498
  • Reward points : 10085
Re:Changing Insurance - Saturday, July 25, 2015 10:02 PM
Lots of companies pay their insurance fees on a quarterly basis. If for instance your employer paid for your policy on July 1, it might be in effect until September 30. You should ask about that possibility. My son-in-law was laid-off as of June 30 but his insurance was picked up by the company through the following quarter. Instead of being uninsured, as he thought, it turned out he and his family had coverage they were unaware of.
Lumpectomy 4/14/05 at age 69
Stage 1, 2cm, Node Negative
Grade 3, Triple Negative
AC/Taxol, Radiation,
BRCA2 positive (It's always something!)
No Family History

karey
  • Total Posts : 557
  • Reward points : 11690
Re:Changing Insurance - Sunday, July 26, 2015 11:48 PM
I changed insurance a couple of years ago. I'd been under my husband's health insurance and then when he lost his job just after I went on LTD due to another health issue and was in the process for applying for SSDI. I continued to be covered by his health insurance under COBRA for six months until I was eligible for Medicare and now am covered by a Medicare Advantage Plan. Even though I was fortunate in that my previous health insurance provider also offered a Medicare Advantage Plan so they simply had to make internal change in switching me from one of their plans to another, I still made some phone calls and even a couple of visits in person to make sure the transition would happen smoothly. I think what you really need to do is talk to someone in HR or the insurance companies. They deal with such transitions all of the time and I think they can best answer your questions in regards to how things will be handled. If I recall correctly, I did initially have one claim denied. In a panic I called only to be reassured that though the claim was denied under my "old policy" because it was no longer in force, a letter had also been sent to say that it had been approved under my "new policy". I actually got that letter the next day.
Kathy
Diagnosed at age 47
DX: 12/13/07 IDC Stage IIa Grade 3 3.5 cm TN
Lumpectomy 1/30/08 SNB neg
Chemo-2/29/08: 4 A/C 4 Taxol-Done 6/6/08! NED!
33 Rads 7/7/08-8/20/08 Done!
12/10/09 Now Ruptured Brain Aneurysm Survivor!