Visit Komen.org
Lower Your Risk
Prev Thread Prev Thread   Next Thread Next Thread
 Chemotherapy left up to me? -My ONCOTYPE DX test results
uvda28

• Total Posts : 5
  • Reward points : 70
Chemotherapy left up to me? -My ONCOTYPE DX test results - Friday, September 18, 2015 6:44 PM
Ladies,
I've already been through a bi-lateral mastectomy and axillary dissection. HER2 is negative and only 1 lymph node is affected-so no radiation is recommended. I just got the results of my Oncotype DX test back. With Tamoxifen, the chances of my exact cancer coming back in the next 10 years is 17%. With chemo and tamoxifen, my chances are reduced only slightly to 14%.
The second part of the test is low, intermediate and high with regard to chemotherapy being a benefit or not. I am in the intermediate stage because it technically DOES provide a benefit, though very small-3% better chances. I have battled cancer before, as a teenager-ovarian- and went through 2 years of chemo then.
My oncologist recommends 4 chemo treatments but it the benefit is only 3%, I don't know if it's worth putting my body through that again. And of course, there are still no guarantees-I could still get a recurrence whether I take the chemo or not.
Does anyone have any similar situation or any input/advice?
Thank you!!!
<message edited by uvda28 on Sunday, September 20, 2015 1:05 PM>
Tricia Keegan

• Total Posts : 19215
  • Reward points : 13515
Re:Chemotherapy left up to me? -My ONCOTYPE DX test results - Sunday, September 20, 2015 2:08 PM
I'd forget the stats and % and do all you can to prevent this coming back, I did the same ten years ago and so very glad I did. If you say 3% it doesn't mean very much at all, but if this returns on a major organ or bone it will mean a lot and  you'll really regret not doing all you could to prevent that happening.  I'd urge you to do the chemo, this disease is sneaky and adapts, try to kill it while you can!
Tricia Keegan...From Ireland Dx July '05 IDC 3/9 nodes pos..triple positive..a/c x 4..Taxol/herceptin x 12
Herceptin 1yr ..rads x35 oophorectomy Aug '06
Currently taking Arimidex /Zometa 1 x yearly
Carepage- survivortricia
uvda28

• Total Posts : 5
  • Reward points : 70
Re:Chemotherapy left up to me? -My ONCOTYPE DX test results - Monday, September 21, 2015 9:40 AM
Thank you so much for your input!
o2

• Total Posts : 1
  • Reward points : 50
Re:Chemotherapy left up to me? -My ONCOTYPE DX test results - Friday, November 20, 2015 12:29 PM
Did you decide to go through with the chemo? I've got a similar diagnosis, mastectomy on right side and 5 lymph nodes removed, 2 came back positive. Oncotype analysis came back with a 1% improved 5 year survival/recurrence rate. I've gotten some mixed messages from my doctor: "You should do it/ I'll let you decide". (Some confusion may be the result of the fact that my phone died when he attempted to initiate the conversation.) Anyway, I'm doing radiation now, and would start chemo after Christmas, if I decide to do it.
gordon

• Total Posts : 812
  • Reward points : 11615
Re:Chemotherapy left up to me? -My ONCOTYPE DX test results - Monday, November 23, 2015 6:27 PM
Thanks for responding. Yes, they checked my white counts between chemo sessions. The last one the nurse placed the nestula in a nerve in my arm so it had to be removed. The PA for my onco had me come in for blood tests the following week and my count was something like 2.3 2.8 - low she said but "still ok." I was admitted to ER 4 days later with the pneumonia. While in the hospital they were giving me the belly shots when my counts were 10.8 so I asked the onco about it later and I was told my insurance wouldn't have approved the shot at the 2.3 or 2.8 level. Not until it was under 1 something. So they got the $130k bill for my 2 week hospital stay instead. My surgeon recommended lifemath.net and another - predict.nhs.uk and I've ran the stats and just don't see the benefit. This post is from Triple Negative website, see these links to measure overall prognosis http://forum.tnbcfoundation.org/post-op-chemo_topic12686_post126636.html#126636
gordon

• Total Posts : 812
  • Reward points : 11615
Re:Chemotherapy left up to me? -My ONCOTYPE DX test results - Monday, November 23, 2015 6:30 PM
lifemath.net and another - predict.nhs.uk in case you did'nt see in message body.
Tricia Keegan

• Total Posts : 19215
  • Reward points : 13515
Re:Chemotherapy left up to me? -My ONCOTYPE DX test results - Tuesday, November 24, 2015 5:27 PM
Gordon I'm guessing you may have posted on the wrong message ??
Tricia Keegan...From Ireland Dx July '05 IDC 3/9 nodes pos..triple positive..a/c x 4..Taxol/herceptin x 12
Herceptin 1yr ..rads x35 oophorectomy Aug '06
Currently taking Arimidex /Zometa 1 x yearly
Carepage- survivortricia

Jump to:

Icon Legend and Permission
  • New Messages
  • No New Messages
  • Hot Topic w/ New Messages
  • Hot Topic w/o New Messages
  • Locked w/ New Messages
  • Locked w/o New Messages
  • Read Message