Visit Komen.org
Lower Your Risk
Prev Thread Prev Thread   Next Thread Next Thread
 Chemotherapy left up to me? -My ONCOTYPE DX test results
uvda28

• Total Posts : 5
  • Reward points : 70
Chemotherapy left up to me? -My ONCOTYPE DX test results - Friday, September 18, 2015 6:44 PM
Ladies,
I've already been through a bi-lateral mastectomy and axillary dissection. HER2 is negative and only 1 lymph node is affected-so no radiation is recommended. I just got the results of my Oncotype DX test back. With Tamoxifen, the chances of my exact cancer coming back in the next 10 years is 17%. With chemo and tamoxifen, my chances are reduced only slightly to 14%.
The second part of the test is low, intermediate and high with regard to chemotherapy being a benefit or not. I am in the intermediate stage because it technically DOES provide a benefit, though very small-3% better chances. I have battled cancer before, as a teenager-ovarian- and went through 2 years of chemo then.
My oncologist recommends 4 chemo treatments but it the benefit is only 3%, I don't know if it's worth putting my body through that again. And of course, there are still no guarantees-I could still get a recurrence whether I take the chemo or not.
Does anyone have any similar situation or any input/advice?
Thank you!!!
<message edited by uvda28 on Sunday, September 20, 2015 1:05 PM>

Jump to:

Icon Legend and Permission
  • New Messages
  • No New Messages
  • Hot Topic w/ New Messages
  • Hot Topic w/o New Messages
  • Locked w/ New Messages
  • Locked w/o New Messages
  • Read Message
  • Post New Thread