Visit Komen.org
Lower Your Risk
Prev Thread Prev Thread   Next Thread Next Thread
Can they send you collections if you are paying monthly?
Kootiebear

• Total Posts : 29
  • Reward points : 995
Can they send you collections if you are paying monthly? - Saturday, October 03, 2015 12:49 PM

Radiology Ltd is our biggest bill due to the biopsy and breast MRI being at the beginning of treatment before we met our insurance deductible. 

We have been paying what we can each month. We also have bills for surgery, the two pathology reports (biopsy and surgery), plus the bill for genetic testing.

I received a call yesterday from Radiology Ltd saying we are not meeting their minimun payment requirements and want to turn us over to collections.  We have never signed a paynent agreement with them and this is the first I have heard about their being a problem.  
They are trying to force us to agree to an amount we cannot afford because they want it paid in 4 months.

Needless to say I am stressing about this 
Carrie Annual mammogram on 4/29/15 Follow up mammogram 5/1/15 Biopsy 5/11/15 DCIS Right Breast Diagnosis 5/14/15 Breast MRI 5/18/15 Lumpectomy partial mastectomy on 6/4/15. 16 treatments of Radiation Therapy. Tamoxifen Medication therapy started 8/31/15 for 5 years. Genetic testing showed I do not have the BRCA gene. My sister is a breast cancer survivor for 10 years.
Tricia Keegan

• Total Posts : 19215
  • Reward points : 13520
Re:Can they send you collections if you are paying monthly? - Saturday, October 03, 2015 2:53 PM
I'm sorry Carrie and the last thing any of us need is money worries when going through this. I'd suggest you send them a letter outlining the max you can afford to pay and make them an offer of that, make sure all your dealings with them are in writing, I hope someone else can advise you more as I'm not too familier with the system in the U.S but you may be entitled to some help so maybe ask the social worker in your hospital too.
Tricia Keegan...From Ireland Dx July '05 IDC 3/9 nodes pos..triple positive..a/c x 4..Taxol/herceptin x 12
Herceptin 1yr ..rads x35 oophorectomy Aug '06
Currently taking Arimidex /Zometa 1 x yearly
Carepage- survivortricia
Nuzzys Nana

• Total Posts : 4498
  • Reward points : 10085
Re:Can they send you collections if you are paying monthly? - Saturday, October 03, 2015 9:13 PM
You should try to work out a payment agreement first, and one you can live with. If the doctor's office will not approve of that, then the next step should be with a bankruptcy attorney. That way, you may find out what your rights are and come up with some sort of strategy. It sounds as if you have a high deductible insurance policy. Those are deadly. People are lured to them due to lower premiums but soon learn that they have very little coverage. High deductibles are really only useful for wealthy people. Good luck and keep us posted.
Lumpectomy 4/14/05 at age 69
Stage 1, 2cm, Node Negative
Grade 3, Triple Negative
AC/Taxol, Radiation,
BRCA2 positive (It's always something!)
No Family History
sharonma

• Total Posts : 4093
  • Reward points : 10530
Re:Can they send you collections if you are paying monthly? - Sunday, October 04, 2015 9:03 AM
Carrie, try this http://www.patientadvocate.org. I know some have had success
dx ILC/dcis excisional biopsy 5/30/08
r segmental mast (partial) snb 6/4
node neg stage1 gr ll
er+/pr- Her2 - Oncotype Dx 11
R mast 9/22/08 w DIEP
tamox,now AI 
BRCA 1 & 2 NEG
davinci hyst/bso,  
karey

• Total Posts : 557
  • Reward points : 11690
Re:Can they send you collections if you are paying monthly? - Sunday, October 04, 2015 11:19 PM
- [This post was marked as helpful]
For the past few years, my husband and I have hosted a class on finances offered through our church. Do NOT talk to a bankruptcy lawyer until you have exhausted all options. The way they make their money is by getting you to file bankruptcy and I am sorry, I know from personal experience that you will go there looking for options and suddenly find yourself signing papers when in reality, you did not need to. Sometimes that is your only option but most of the time it is not. It wasn't medical bills that sent us into a tailspin as we had an HSA to cover the deductible. It was everything else. That was when I learned, through my union, about an organization that could and did help me in regards to my creditors and also did all the negotiations and communication with my creditors for me so I didn't have to deal with them. Many of these companies that promise to help you with debt are fraudulent so you have to be careful. They will take your money and not pay your creditors. You must look for one that is non-profit. However, I am going to list the website of who I went through because they were recommended through the union I used to belong to, they have an excellent reputation, have been around for about 60 years or so and more importantly, they did pay my creditors as agreed and I have the monthly statements from my former creditors to prove it as well as letters from the creditors stating that my debts are paid in full. The website for the organization that helped me is: http://www.moneymanagement.org/ The name of the company is Money Management International. You can contact them for a free phone consultation of your situation. Gather up your bills, your monthly expenses, income, etc. The counselor will look at your situation and do up a budget, figure out what you can reasonably pay, advise you on your options which could be a debt management plan, bankruptcy, etc so that you can make an informed decision about what to do. If they decide that a debt management plan (DMP) is right for you, they will send you consent forms so they can submit a proposal on your behalf to your creditor(s). For me, this was a lifesaver as I was not in a good place to deal with rude,nasty people and once MMI took over, I didn't have to. There was a monthly administrative charge of $35.00 a month once the plan was set up but like I said, the consultation was free and personally, I felt the fee was worth it. With careful budgeting I actually was able to make additional payments and paid everything off two years early. This is just an option to consider if you do not have success with suggestions like patientadvocate.org.
<message edited by karey on Sunday, October 04, 2015 11:22 PM>
Kathy
Diagnosed at age 47
DX: 12/13/07 IDC Stage IIa Grade 3 3.5 cm TN
Lumpectomy 1/30/08 SNB neg
Chemo-2/29/08: 4 A/C 4 Taxol-Done 6/6/08! NED!
33 Rads 7/7/08-8/20/08 Done!
12/10/09 Now Ruptured Brain Aneurysm Survivor!
Kootiebear

• Total Posts : 29
  • Reward points : 995
Re:Can they send you collections if you are paying monthly? - Monday, October 05, 2015 4:22 PM
It is just this one provider that is causing problems. The insurance we had at the time of diagnosis was through my work and had a deductible of $2,500 plus a 10% co-insurance until you reached $6,500. Luckily my husband has a new job with the state and the insurance is way better and less expensive. I have not heard from Radiology Ltd. so far today. I contacted the insurance agent through my work. She has helped us in the past with insurance billing problems and worked on our behalf as a patient advocate. I was just stunned at the behavior of the person who contacted me. We used some of our savings to pay the upfront minimum costs required for the procedures and surgery. We are fortunate that the debt is not where we need to file bankruptcy we just need to pay them off over time.
Carrie Annual mammogram on 4/29/15 Follow up mammogram 5/1/15 Biopsy 5/11/15 DCIS Right Breast Diagnosis 5/14/15 Breast MRI 5/18/15 Lumpectomy partial mastectomy on 6/4/15. 16 treatments of Radiation Therapy. Tamoxifen Medication therapy started 8/31/15 for 5 years. Genetic testing showed I do not have the BRCA gene. My sister is a breast cancer survivor for 10 years.

Jump to:

Icon Legend and Permission
  • New Messages
  • No New Messages
  • Hot Topic w/ New Messages
  • Hot Topic w/o New Messages
  • Locked w/ New Messages
  • Locked w/o New Messages
  • Read Message
  • Post New Thread
  • Reply to message
  • Post New Poll