Visit Komen.org
Lower Your Risk
Prev Thread Prev Thread   Next Thread Next Thread
 Do you over react and think you see or feel something?
Kootiebear

• Total Posts : 29
  • Reward points : 995
Do you over react and think you see or feel something? - Monday, October 12, 2015 6:30 PM
I've heard the question over and over since I was diagnosed. How did they find it? Did you feel a lump? Did you feel any pain? I was diagnosed with DCIS in May of this year. What the radiologist saw was the size of a grain of sand. I felt no lump, no pain, nothing. It was discovered during my annual mammogram. I have since had surgery, radiation and I am now on Tamoxifen. I woke up in the middle of the night last night thinking I felt something. Sent me into a panic attack. In the morning I couldn't find what I thought I felt during the night. Then I started staring at my breast and thinking one nipple looked really dark. I asked my husband to check as well. I had to remind myself I just had a follow up with the radiation oncologist and she did an exam. I am also on medication to prevent recurrence. Does anyone else go through this?
Carrie Annual mammogram on 4/29/15 Follow up mammogram 5/1/15 Biopsy 5/11/15 DCIS Right Breast Diagnosis 5/14/15 Breast MRI 5/18/15 Lumpectomy partial mastectomy on 6/4/15. 16 treatments of Radiation Therapy. Tamoxifen Medication therapy started 8/31/15 for 5 years. Genetic testing showed I do not have the BRCA gene. My sister is a breast cancer survivor for 10 years.
Nuzzys Nana

• Total Posts : 4498
  • Reward points : 10085
Re:Do you over react and think you see or feel something? - Monday, October 12, 2015 8:57 PM
Hyper-vigilance goes with the territory. That will fade with time. I remember feeling much safer when I was on a six month schedule of checkups by doctors. Once I passed the 5 year mark, that changed to checkups once yearly. However, I also get MRI's six months after my mammogram since I am BRCA2 positive. So that has to suffice. My biggest problem now is the way my skin looks 10 years after radiation. Not good.
Lumpectomy 4/14/05 at age 69
Stage 1, 2cm, Node Negative
Grade 3, Triple Negative
AC/Taxol, Radiation,
BRCA2 positive (It's always something!)
No Family History
Tricia Keegan

• Total Posts : 19215
  • Reward points : 13520
Re:Do you over react and think you see or feel something? - Tuesday, October 13, 2015 3:10 AM
I think this is very normal Carrie and will get easier in time, you're not too far out from your dx so while it's good to be vigilant, it's important to not allow it to rule us, go forward with confidence and enjoy your life.
Tricia Keegan...From Ireland Dx July '05 IDC 3/9 nodes pos..triple positive..a/c x 4..Taxol/herceptin x 12
Herceptin 1yr ..rads x35 oophorectomy Aug '06
Currently taking Arimidex /Zometa 1 x yearly
Carepage- survivortricia

Jump to:

Icon Legend and Permission
  • New Messages
  • No New Messages
  • Hot Topic w/ New Messages
  • Hot Topic w/o New Messages
  • Locked w/ New Messages
  • Locked w/o New Messages
  • Read Message