Radiation Scar Tissue/Bumps Freaked me out

Kootiebear
  • Total Posts : 29
  • Reward points : 995
Radiation Scar Tissue/Bumps Freaked me out - Monday, October 26, 2015 6:24 PM
My last radiation treatment was August 18, 2015 after 16 treatments. Overall my breast has returned to normal, other than being slightly darker than my other breast. I noticed bumps in my underarm that were itchy. I of course freaked out feeling a bump. Luckily I had an appointment with my primary doctor and had him check to be sure. It was the I am scared to mention it and scared not to mention it. He reassured me that as the radiation oncologist already told me it can take up to 6 months for me to completely heal from radiation. I went back through my paperwork and sure enough there it stated long term effects can be radiation scarring. I know I signed the paperwork, but I was in overwhelmed mode with all the information they give you prior to radiation. He is going to see me again next month more for my own peace of mind, plus I see the medication oncologist in December. I guess it freaked me out because my DCIS diagnosis was found from my annual mammogram. I never felt a lump or had any pain. So to feel something sent me over the edge. Does this get easier?
Carrie Annual mammogram on 4/29/15 Follow up mammogram 5/1/15 Biopsy 5/11/15 DCIS Right Breast Diagnosis 5/14/15 Breast MRI 5/18/15 Lumpectomy partial mastectomy on 6/4/15. 16 treatments of Radiation Therapy. Tamoxifen Medication therapy started 8/31/15 for 5 years. Genetic testing showed I do not have the BRCA gene. My sister is a breast cancer survivor for 10 years.

Tricia Keegan
  • Total Posts : 19215
  • Reward points : 13520
Re:Radiation Scar Tissue/Bumps Freaked me out - Tuesday, October 27, 2015 10:38 AM
It will get easier Carrie although never fully leaves us, I found a lump months after rads and panicked too, my surgeon was 100% sure it was scarring and didn't even biopsy it and I think it happens to many people but its always good to have it checked by a Dr as you have done just in case.
Tricia Keegan...From Ireland Dx July '05 IDC 3/9 nodes pos..triple positive..a/c x 4..Taxol/herceptin x 12
Herceptin 1yr ..rads x35 oophorectomy Aug '06
Currently taking Arimidex /Zometa 1 x yearly
Carepage- survivortricia

Nuzzys Nana
  • Total Posts : 4498
  • Reward points : 10085
Re:Radiation Scar Tissue/Bumps Freaked me out - Tuesday, October 27, 2015 1:57 PM
My breast was okay for about 8 years after radiation. Then it really started to itch, atrophy and the skin looked really bad. I have dry skin and over time that dryness, combined with the effects of radiation really began to show. I have found that keeping the skin on that breast well hydrated makes a big difference. I have been using Aloe lotion with "triple lanolin" and it seems to help a lot. I apply it at least twice daily.
Lumpectomy 4/14/05 at age 69
Stage 1, 2cm, Node Negative
Grade 3, Triple Negative
AC/Taxol, Radiation,
BRCA2 positive (It's always something!)
No Family History

Kootiebear
  • Total Posts : 29
  • Reward points : 995
Re:Radiation Scar Tissue/Bumps Freaked me out - Tuesday, October 27, 2015 4:14 PM
Thanks ladies! I have still been using the lotion they recommended during treatment. Glad to know my instincts were right on that.
Carrie Annual mammogram on 4/29/15 Follow up mammogram 5/1/15 Biopsy 5/11/15 DCIS Right Breast Diagnosis 5/14/15 Breast MRI 5/18/15 Lumpectomy partial mastectomy on 6/4/15. 16 treatments of Radiation Therapy. Tamoxifen Medication therapy started 8/31/15 for 5 years. Genetic testing showed I do not have the BRCA gene. My sister is a breast cancer survivor for 10 years.