Visit Komen.org
Lower Your Risk
Prev Thread Prev Thread   Next Thread Next Thread
 Radiation Scar Tissue/Bumps Freaked me out
Kootiebear

• Total Posts : 29
  • Reward points : 995
Radiation Scar Tissue/Bumps Freaked me out - Monday, October 26, 2015 6:24 PM
My last radiation treatment was August 18, 2015 after 16 treatments. Overall my breast has returned to normal, other than being slightly darker than my other breast. I noticed bumps in my underarm that were itchy. I of course freaked out feeling a bump. Luckily I had an appointment with my primary doctor and had him check to be sure. It was the I am scared to mention it and scared not to mention it. He reassured me that as the radiation oncologist already told me it can take up to 6 months for me to completely heal from radiation. I went back through my paperwork and sure enough there it stated long term effects can be radiation scarring. I know I signed the paperwork, but I was in overwhelmed mode with all the information they give you prior to radiation. He is going to see me again next month more for my own peace of mind, plus I see the medication oncologist in December. I guess it freaked me out because my DCIS diagnosis was found from my annual mammogram. I never felt a lump or had any pain. So to feel something sent me over the edge. Does this get easier?
Carrie Annual mammogram on 4/29/15 Follow up mammogram 5/1/15 Biopsy 5/11/15 DCIS Right Breast Diagnosis 5/14/15 Breast MRI 5/18/15 Lumpectomy partial mastectomy on 6/4/15. 16 treatments of Radiation Therapy. Tamoxifen Medication therapy started 8/31/15 for 5 years. Genetic testing showed I do not have the BRCA gene. My sister is a breast cancer survivor for 10 years.

Jump to:

Icon Legend and Permission
  • New Messages
  • No New Messages
  • Hot Topic w/ New Messages
  • Hot Topic w/o New Messages
  • Locked w/ New Messages
  • Locked w/o New Messages
  • Read Message
  • Post New Thread
  • Reply to message
  • Post New Poll