Finding a New Routine that Doesn't include Fear

Kootiebear
  • Total Posts : 29
  • Reward points : 995
Finding a New Routine that Doesn't include Fear - Thursday, November 05, 2015 2:00 PM
I am 5 months out from surgery, over 11 weeks post radiation and 2 months of Tamoxifen. I know the New Year will bring the start of my 6 month mammograms for the next 2 years. I know I am very fortunate that my cancer was caught very, very, early (DCIS), that surgery removed the cancer and that radiation and medication are preventative. How do you guys prepare yourself for the waiting game after each mammogram? People mean well, but unless they have heard those words "You have cancer" they really don't understand. I don't want to leave in fear. I want to go on with my life. Anything that helps you guys avoid these feelings?
Carrie Annual mammogram on 4/29/15 Follow up mammogram 5/1/15 Biopsy 5/11/15 DCIS Right Breast Diagnosis 5/14/15 Breast MRI 5/18/15 Lumpectomy partial mastectomy on 6/4/15. 16 treatments of Radiation Therapy. Tamoxifen Medication therapy started 8/31/15 for 5 years. Genetic testing showed I do not have the BRCA gene. My sister is a breast cancer survivor for 10 years.

Tricia Keegan
  • Total Posts : 19215
  • Reward points : 13520
Re:Finding a New Routine that Doesn't include Fear - Thursday, November 05, 2015 3:40 PM
Hi Carrie,

I think for most of us we'll always fear that time of year when we have to face tests, for myself I just think positively and tell myself it'll be fine, and if not I'll worry about it when I have to lol, easier said than done I know. It does get easier so cut yourself some slack as its early days yet for you.:)  Just tell yourself you did all you could, none of us can control this but we can try to be positive and keep an open mind but don 't allow it to rule you, what will be will be, however you feel so just go with it if you can.
Tricia Keegan...From Ireland Dx July '05 IDC 3/9 nodes pos..triple positive..a/c x 4..Taxol/herceptin x 12
Herceptin 1yr ..rads x35 oophorectomy Aug '06
Currently taking Arimidex /Zometa 1 x yearly
Carepage- survivortricia