Neulasta shot

clamaity21
  • Total Posts : 2
  • Reward points : 70
Neulasta shot - Tuesday, September 27, 2016 7:07 AM
Hi all, my mom had her 1st chemo treatment Friday. The doctor sent her home with the Neulasta shot attached to her arm. It leaked when it was supposed to inject on Saturday and the office was closed. She went in and received her shot yesterday and the doctor said that she can just come in on Mondays from here on after. I called the Neulasta drug company and the person told me that the sooner that you get the shot the better. My mom's doctor told her that as long as she gets it within 72 hours than that is fine. My question is should my mom look for another oncologist? I want her to get the best care and I feel that she is at very high risk of infection if she waits until Monday to get her shot. Does anyone have any words of wisdom that I can pass along to my mom? TIA

Mother diagnosed with stage 2 breast cancer Aug 2016.

Tricia Keegan
  • Total Posts : 19215
  • Reward points : 13520
Re:Neulasta shot - Tuesday, September 27, 2016 9:42 AM
Hi,

I used to get the shot the day after chemo, a nurse would come to my home to give it to me but if I'd felt able to give it myself my Onc was happy for me to collect from the pharmacy and do that. My hubby and I were a little squeamish so had the nurse come.  I'm not too informed on the type you mention as they didn't have that when I was dx but know some of the members have their neulasta this way too without any problems. If you're on Facebook we have a very busy and active closed group there where I know you'll get lots of replies from members, here's the link https://www.facebook.com/groups/1588741974737166/
Tricia Keegan...From Ireland Dx July '05 IDC 3/9 nodes pos..triple positive..a/c x 4..Taxol/herceptin x 12
Herceptin 1yr ..rads x35 oophorectomy Aug '06
Currently taking Arimidex /Zometa 1 x yearly
Carepage- survivortricia

clamaity21
  • Total Posts : 2
  • Reward points : 70
Re:Neulasta shot - Saturday, October 01, 2016 5:47 PM
Thank you for the link!

Mother diagnosed with stage 2 breast cancer Aug 2016.

nuzzysnana
  • Total Posts : 31
  • Reward points : 2745
Re:Neulasta shot - Sunday, October 02, 2016 12:50 PM
I had two shots directly after a chemo treatment. They were given in my oncologist's office by a staff nurse before I left the office. One shot was to boost my white cell count and the other to boost red blood cells. I thought everyone got the same treatment regarding those shots. To my surprise, I later learned that most were administered the next day by the patients themselves. I have no idea why my shots were given they way they were. It may have had something to do with me or just the way my oncologist did those things.
Diagnosed in 2005 at age 69 Two Centimeter IDC, Stage 1, Grade 3, Lumpectomy, Dose dense chemo, radiation. No family history. Tested positive for BRCA2 in 2007 Who knew?

karey
  • Total Posts : 557
  • Reward points : 11690
Re:Neulasta shot - Thursday, October 13, 2016 12:53 AM
I went in to have mine given and they did schedule the appointment exactly 24 hours after my chemo was finished. I could have done it at home I guess but due to the side-effects I was experiencing with chemo (plus I was one of the lucky people who had bone pain from Neulasta and combined with the nerve pain I had with Taxol... yeah... I went in. I was surprised when I read that you were given Neulasta right after having chemo. I wondered about that as it seemed to me, it had been stressed that I had no options except to either come in once again (and that was on a Saturday) or do it myself after 24 hours. So, I looked it up. The Neulasta website actually says you should not receive the shot any sooner than 24 hours after chemo. I found another site that said in 2010 a study was done to see if there was any difference in having the shot right after chemo or 24 hours later. It looks like the drug really did perform better after 24 hours as opposed to right away.
Kathy
Diagnosed at age 47
DX: 12/13/07 IDC Stage IIa Grade 3 3.5 cm TN
Lumpectomy 1/30/08 SNB neg
Chemo-2/29/08: 4 A/C 4 Taxol-Done 6/6/08! NED!
33 Rads 7/7/08-8/20/08 Done!
12/10/09 Now Ruptured Brain Aneurysm Survivor!