Visit Komen.org
Lower Your Risk
Prev Thread Prev Thread   Next Thread Next Thread
 3rd BC, worn out and scared.
Katsie

• Total Posts : 4
  • Reward points : 2210
3rd BC, worn out and scared. - Thursday, November 03, 2016 3:41 PM
This is my third time with BC.  The first time was medullary (sp.) raadiation and tamoxifin, then a "garden variety" (as per my doctor), in the other breast at 54.  I'm now 8 years out, and it back in the breast described as "garden variety".  The other two were non-hormonal.  The second one was mastectomy (bilateral - my choice), radiation, tamaxofin.  I found the first two by myself.  The third one did not look like a lump.  In fact, my family thought I pulled a pectoral muscle.  It was up above the breast area, so high on my body, and it was the size of a tennis ball.  My G.P. saw it in June 2015, and sent me to therapy until December, 2015, when my PT said she didn't think it was a muscle, and she refused to do  anything further.  Now, all of my health history was available to my GP ,yet she misdiagnosed me.  She did not once, tell me to see my oncologist who I've been seeing since the first BC.  Anyway, I saw my oncologist, he took one look, and said it was BC.  I started radiation everyday beginning in January, 2016, and ending in March, 2016.  They gave me the largest dose of radiation that the doctor felt comfortable with.  After radiation, once a week, I went over to my oncologist's office for chemo (4 hrs).  I had chemo 3 weeks on, one week off.  This continued until September, 2016, when my oncologist said that the BC spread to my lung and kidney, and that the lung tumor was not getting smaller on the IV Chemo.  He gave me an oral chemo pill, which I took for five weeks, but it caused my forehead and nose to break out in a horrible rash.  He then took me off of it.  Since I have been in chemo for so long, my veins are difficult to find.  The oncology nurse told me, though she was able to do it, because she was trained, most of the other's were not trained in IV insertion.  I used to wait 40 minutes just to get her to do the IV.  She finally suggested a port, which  I had inserted two weeks ago.  It's not that visible, and many of the patients in the oncology IV area, showed me their ports.  I start chemo again on November 7th.  I am so tired of this, you cannot imagine.  I told my new GP how down I was because it was going on so long, and the tumor in my chest can't be removed due to nerves, and blood vessels, plus my insurance will not remove more than two tumors at one time.  My GP kept me on cymbalta (I've been on it for a decade), and added Wellbutrin, and gave me low dose xanax to sleep, and said to take a half, during the day if I'm nervous, which I always am.  I think I have PTSD from so many BC's happening to me.  Every time I have to see my oncologist (I also have chronic myelegenous leukemia (sp)), and get a blood check every 6 mos....I start to shake.  I'm so afraid he'll tell me something else bad.  I'm very spiritual, which got me through the first two, but this one has almost gone on for a year, and I feel like I have a time bomb in my chest.  My doctors all know, and they are sympathetic, but all I do is think about it.  Then while waiting for a blood test, last month, a woman sitting next to me told me she was in chemo for a year!  We must find cures for this horrible disease.  I sometimes wonder if it were men suffering with it, maybe we'd have a cure by now, and I've even thought that they have cures, but don't give them to us.  Yes, that's how insane this has made me.  Say a prayer for me...and I will pray for you all too.  Thank you.  
Tricia Keegan

• Total Posts : 19215
  • Reward points : 13465
Re:3rd BC, worn out and scared. - Friday, November 04, 2016 9:01 AM
I'm so sorry you've been through so much, no wonder you're feeling drained and exhausted and I really hope this will be the last time for you and you have a great response to treatment. Its a little quiet here of late but if you'd like to talk to other survivors and patients just go to our closed group on Facebook, here's the link. https://www.facebook.com/groups/1588741974737166/
Tricia Keegan...From Ireland Dx July '05 IDC 3/9 nodes pos..triple positive..a/c x 4..Taxol/herceptin x 12
Herceptin 1yr ..rads x35 oophorectomy Aug '06
Currently taking Arimidex /Zometa 1 x yearly
Carepage- survivortricia

Jump to:

Icon Legend and Permission
  • New Messages
  • No New Messages
  • Hot Topic w/ New Messages
  • Hot Topic w/o New Messages
  • Locked w/ New Messages
  • Locked w/o New Messages
  • Read Message