Lower Your Risk
Prev Thread Prev Thread   Next Thread Next Thread
 Newly Diagnosed
Joanna B

• Total Posts : 1
  • Reward points : 55
Newly Diagnosed - Thursday, November 03, 2016 7:33 PM
Hi all,

I am newly diagnosed with invasive ductal carcinoma.  My last Mamogram was 8 years ago, and I found the lump myself.  I'm really kicking myself for not taking better care of my health, but here I am.  I haven't had a consultation with the Surgeon/Oncologist/Gynocologist that I was referred to, so I really don't know exactly how bad things are.  What do know is that the tumor is  ER/PR pos, and the Her 2 is weakly positive and went out for FISH testing to confirm.   It has been almost a week and still not back according to the Breast Health Navigator at the Breast Health Facility I went to, which is kind of strange, because I know they don't take that long.

It has been a tough week of trying to shepherd myself though the healthcare maze.  I work in a hospital lab, and know the pathologist that read my slides,  so I am very familiar with how things work, and have a bit too much understanding for my comfort. 

I've felt a myriad of feelings, mostly sadness, anxiety and fear of the unknown, but am functioning ok considering.  I'm just trying hang in there until I get a fuller picture of what I am up against.

It is nice to see so many nice people post here.  I'm not typically a message-board type person, but I know the collective wisdom and spirit of this board  will help bolster me in this difficult time.

Thanks for listening, and responding

Joanna
Tricia Keegan

• Total Posts : 19215
  • Reward points : 13520
Re:Newly Diagnosed - Friday, November 04, 2016 9:04 AM
Hi Joanna,

I'm so sorry you've been diagnosed with this and there's no doubt you'll feel a whole lot better and more in control when you get a full picture and know exactly what you're dealing with.  It's very quiet here of late but you can get a lot more replies and support by going to our closed group on Facebook which is far busier than here. This is the link and I hope you'll keep us posted on how you get on. https://www.facebook.com/groups/1588741974737166/
Tricia Keegan...From Ireland Dx July '05 IDC 3/9 nodes pos..triple positive..a/c x 4..Taxol/herceptin x 12
Herceptin 1yr ..rads x35 oophorectomy Aug '06
Currently taking Arimidex /Zometa 1 x yearly
Carepage- survivortricia
scootersmom

• Total Posts : 1277
  • Reward points : 12250
Re:Newly Diagnosed - Saturday, November 12, 2016 9:37 AM
I too am sorry for your diagnosis.  The unknown is the most frustrating part of this journey.  The fog will be lifted once the plan is set.  Good luck.
Tina    
dx 2/1/11 DCIS
Lumpectomy 2/27 results DCIS/LCIS Stage 0 ER+ PR+
Bi-lateral Mastectomy 4/26 with expanders 
6/3 Surgery to remove contaminated expander due to infection.
7/22/11 Surgery to reinsert the expander. 
10/11/2011 Surgery to replace tissue expanders with implants.

Jump to:

Icon Legend and Permission
  • New Messages
  • No New Messages
  • Hot Topic w/ New Messages
  • Hot Topic w/o New Messages
  • Locked w/ New Messages
  • Locked w/o New Messages
  • Read Message
  • Post New Thread
  • Reply to message
  • Post New Poll